RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have an ‘01 SP1 and while riding this evening I heard a pop (which later determined to be backfire) and then no power. It was dark outside so the first thing I noticed was the FI light came on. As the bike coasted in gear I pulled the clutch and everything went dark. Now even when I turn the key absolutely no life. No fuel pump, no headlight/tail light or gauge cluster. I happened to have the gopro facing backwards and there were actually 3 backfires that occurred probably within a 5 second period after loss of power. I am assuming this was because of fuel burning off in the chambers after shutdown. Just got her home and have not even attempted to diagnose anything yet. Too late tonight, going to tomorrow. Any ideas where to start would be helpful, 😬 thanks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
probably the main fuse in the starter relay, it's located under the red cap on the starter relay on the left side of the subframe. you'll have to pull the tail plastic to find it.

there SHOULD be a spare fuse tucked into the rubber holder that the relay sits in. if not it's a standard automotive 30 amp fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Right on! Thanks for the quick response. I will check that out and update findings. Don’t like my baby being wounded 😞

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info Wibbly. It actually was the positive battery terminal. The post where it is soldered gave way. Main fuse and the inline fuse from the battery are still good. I wondered if she would die if the battery became disconnected, now I know! Thanks again for the help 😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update-replaced battery and she fired right up as if nothing ever happened. Thanks again Wibbly for the assistance 👍🏼😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts