RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 01 track bike that after a good fast straight, I brake hard for a corner, right or left it doesn't matter, it dies and I have to roll off to the side and use the starter and it starts right up. I have changed maps thinking that might be it. Re-did all fuel lines to make sure none were crimping under braking. I checked all the wiring that might do something under braking. Nothing worked. Mine is pretty stock, Arrow exhaust, PC, Carbon air box and snorkel from Australia. Tried it on two different tracks and it does the same thing. Any ideas what might be going on ??

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Tilt sensor not mounted in proper position? If the FI light comes on - Check the wiring near the battery too... a loose connection there can cause these symptoms.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say tilt sensor, do you mean the Bank sensor ? I see there is a relay and sensor. Sensor looked right. I have an aftermarket subframe so it was just mounted to the left side next to the coil with the arrow pointing up, checked all battery connections and all were good. Didn't check fuel pressure regulator. It works fine under acceleration, top end, just under hard braking. And to be honest under hard braking and diving into a corner I am not looking at the dash. All I know that it does not fire while in gear rolling to the side of the track. It is when I stop at the side of the track and use the starter does it start again. How do I check sensor ?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When you say tilt sensor, do you mean the Bank sensor ? I see there is a relay and sensor. Sensor looked right. I have an aftermarket subframe so it was just mounted to the left side next to the coil with the arrow pointing up, checked all battery connections and all were good. Didn't check fuel pressure regulator. It works fine under acceleration, top end, just under hard braking. And to be honest under hard braking and diving into a corner I am not looking at the dash. All I know that it does not fire while in gear rolling to the side of the track. It is when I stop at the side of the track and use the starter does it start again. How do I check sensor ?
If it is mounted sideways I bet you are pulling enough G-force to trip it ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out and started the bike. Held the sensor in my hand, turned it ever which way and even upside down and it did not kill the bike. Is it suppose to ? Is the raised arrow and the word up suppose to be, facing the side or the front ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I went out and started the bike. Held the sensor in my hand, turned it ever which way and even upside down and it did not kill the bike. Is it suppose to ? Is the raised arrow and the word up suppose to be, facing the side or the front ?
Is it possible the bike needs to be in gear?

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
My advice... by pass / jump the tilt/bank angle sensor.

Remove it.... jumper the connection. Go try and hit a corner under hard braking....

Report back. :)

Look at the kickstand sensor too, while your down there.... LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So your sensor isn't working at all?
I don't know how it is suppose to work. By the manual it is suppose to have a relay that I can not find. The manual just shows a picture and says nothing about how to test it. All wires going to ECU are tight. I will keep checking other things. If it were fuel it seems it would sputter some. Just sucks when you want to get a good trackday in and you can't even get around the track.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I don't know how it is suppose to work. By the manual it is suppose to have a relay that I can not find. The manual just shows a picture and says nothing about how to test it. All wires going to ECU are tight. I will keep checking other things. If it were fuel it seems it would sputter some. Just sucks when you want to get a good trackday in and you can't even get around the track.
The Bank angle Relay has four wires:

Red/Orange stripe (R/O)
Black (Bl)
Red/White stripe (R/W)
Black/White stripe (Bl/W)

With your key ON and kill switch to RUN position, use a 12V tester and ground it on the battery's negative terminal. Stick it's nose to the Bl/W connector while the whole connector socket is plugged on the relay.
Remove the bank Angle Sensor from the bike and tilt verticaly 90 deg.
To work properly, it's back (the flat surface) level must be always vertical to the ground.
If you do it correctly and the sensor works, the Bl/W wire should die and have no power. Once you level the sensor, you should see power to that wire again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts