RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to shave weight off my SP1. I don't have a ton of cash to drop on carbon fiber or stuff like that. Are there things that can be removed or modified to decrease the weight? I welcome any suggestions.

If you know of any parts that dramaticly reduce weight I would be curious too. Even though right now probably not happening.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
change the battery for a lighter one, thats the cheapest mod to save weight, all the other weight saving mods co$t......eg:wheels,airbox,

·
Registered
422 Posts
WOw dude...your modification cost a bomb....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trialsmutha for the input. I appreciate it. So dollars aside, which mods save the most weight? I would imagin wheels are the biggest weight savings, but how much do y9ou save with the carbon airbox? Anything else?

Also, who does a good quick throttle for the RC51?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The carbon fiber airbox and snorkel together weight 2.5 lbs.
The speed-cell battery weighs 1.8 lbs.
I have not yet weighed the stock airbox or snorkel.

The stock battery weighs around 10 lbs or more.
Plus the speed-cell battery is far quicker to install and cheaper.
So you cheapest bang for the buck (weight-wise) is the battery.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My akra 2-1 saves 22lbs (30lbs compared to 8lbs). For the $700 I payed, it should be quite good saving/$

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I don't believe Akrapovic makes a 2-1 system.
Only a 2-1-2 full system.
They also make slip-on's, but they also have two cans and mid-pipes.
I think possibly your's might be a Jardine 2-1 with Akrapovic can attached?

The Akra full titanium system l bought last year only weighs 14 lbs complete.
However it cost $1400, which was a steal considering MSRP is $1900 to $2000 now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am surprised at the weight savings in the battery. How is battery life with one of the fast cell batteries? With the airbox is the volume bigger? I can't see really saving a ton of weight there over the plastic one, am I wrong here? I was considering going to a 2-1 full system because I thought that would be an easy way to shave some pounds and selling my existing slip ons would subsidize the cost a bit.

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts, anymore ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't believe Akrapovic makes a 2-1 system.
Only a 2-1-2 full system.
They also make slip-on's, but they also have two cans and mid-pipes.
I think possibly your's might be a Jardine 2-1 with Akrapovic can attached?

The Akra full titanium system l bought last year only weighs 14 lbs complete.
However it cost $1400, which was a steal considering MSRP is $1900 to $2000 now.
I should have been more clear. I have a akra durbahn-mod 2-1 http://www.honda-rc51.de/Acra mod in-1,do it yourself.htm
The total wight is 8lbs on my scale, it is made from a full titaníum system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am surprised at the weight savings in the battery. How is battery life with one of the fast cell batteries? With the airbox is the volume bigger? I can't see really saving a ton of weight there over the plastic one, am I wrong here? I was considering going to a 2-1 full system because I thought that would be an easy way to shave some pounds and selling my existing slip ons would subsidize the cost a bit.

The airbox is a quite big weight saving, the standard airbox is made of sturdy heavy plastic and the filter elements are also on the heavy side. If you look at the "kit" airbox http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/jsp/largeimg.jsp?product_id=302 you can se that is only a thin shell, and the weight of the box is close to nothing as is the filter.

·
Registered
422 Posts
DAmm,,,i just changed to Hayabusa battery for my SP1...cost me ard $90

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts

The speed-cell battery has a life at least as good (or better) than the stock battery. And with same cranking power. It weighs 816 gm.
It is just a bit thicker than a Power Commander unit.
The Turn-One airbox fills most of the frame cavity beneath the fuel tank.
The airbox itself weighs only 623 gm. The snorkel weighs 394 gm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My stock air box had abunch of sound deadining foam all around it. I took all that crap out. Mythic have you done the pair mod and flapper mod? (did that junk come on SP1?)
If you take all that stuff out, and the foam junk I lost about 2.25lbs. It only cost about 25 bucks I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts