RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days back my bike started what i can only describe as bucking around the 7000rpm point (under hard and gentle accel), it did this for a few mile then completely cut out on me. Long story short i found the fuel cut relay had gone bad so ordered a new one up and fixed what i believed to be the problem. Took the bike out just to test it and started bucking again, this time i managed to get it home but its now blown the indicator relay and front light relay. I've checked all the grounds and battery volts and they are all up to the mark. someones told me it could be a shorted wire somewhere but before i go ripping into the loom i was just wondering if anyone else had any insight into what could be the problem

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Did you check the ground bolted to the frame?

Also, was the connector cleaned and di-electric grease applied to the fuel relay?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the fuel cut relay that went bad previously was tested by connecting it via cables to the battery and listening for the signature "clicking" which it didnt make so i replaced it with a new one and hey presto she fired up. As for the headlight relay, I swapped the new fuel cut relay i bought with the headlight one and they worked perfectly but the pump didn't prime so figured that the light relay had gone bad. The indicator relay was tested the same way by connecting it to the battery and listening for the clicking noise of which there ins't one.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
i find it very hard to believe that you fried relays. they're incredibly robust devices.

the turn signal relay isn't a conventional coil and contact relay anyway, it's just a bimetallic strip, there isn't a way to test it by hooking it up to a battery as that would just be a short circuit.

i don't believe you are going the right direction with your troubleshooting.

do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i do. What else would cause all my indicators not to functions, the lights dont even come on on the dash

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the loss of the illumination circuit.

look in your fuse box you have lost a circuit. the turn signals, tail light illumination circuit, and dash are fed on the same CCT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check that tomorrow, thanks bud. As for the "bucking" at 7k its like the bike cuts in and out and sometimes it will just flat out die. got any ideas on that? it only does it when its in gear, idling its fine and you can blip the throttle up and beyond 7k

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I'll check that tomorrow, thanks bud. As for the "bucking" at 7k its like the bike cuts in and out and sometimes it will just flat out die. got any ideas on that? it only does it when its in gear, idling its fine and you can blip the throttle up and beyond 7k
loose ground, corroded connection, kick stand switch...take your pick.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Could be any number of things. But I'd start by jumpering out the sidestand switch and see if the issue resolves itself.

Lack of fuel pump priming points away from the sidestand though, as the sidestand has nothing to do with pump priming.

If jumpering the sidestand doesn't work, jumper the bank angle sensor by connecting the outside two wires in the 3 pin connector.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It would also be a good idea to remove the tail section and check for short circuits in the main harness. Especially the large gauge wiring from the battery positive.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
It would also be a good idea to remove the tail section and check for short circuits in the main harness. Especially the large gauge wiring from the battery positive.
As well as the pinch points between the tank and the tail. I have not had that problem but I know many others who have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, sorry its been a while (again) i got around to looking at the bike last week and found the culprit. the previous owner had tucked the wires running from the left hand side control between the frame and the engine which causes a few wires to melt and short out on each other. i little soldering here and a little soldering there and shes back to fighting fit. Thanks for all your suggestions as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts