RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a couple weeks ago I was riding my bike, stopped for lunch, came out and the thing wouldn't start. Got a jump bought a new battery went for a ride but after a few hours the battery went dead again. I charged it but no start. Have since replaced rectifier and stator but the thing still won't go. I can hook it to a car battery and it kicks up. I have checked voltage and am out of ideas. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas? I have checked every connection and fuse what next? Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you have adequate charge voltage, there must be a parasitic drain. is your battery actually dead when you come back to start it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely no power at all, no gauges no lights nothing. I am going to try out a different battery tonight. I did buy a new battery when this first started and have gone through the charging system with no luck. I am getting 0.0 ohms out of the stator leads. where would I begin to look for a drain?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have you replaced the rectifier with an OEM or aftermarket? Aftermarket have not worked for me last 3 tries with different bikes. Go OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will update the readings this afternoon, I am going to borrow a better meter, btw thanks for all the response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotcha, I was wondering if the RR was bad would it ruin the battery, I was planning on getting a new battery this afternoon anyway. What connection would you think would be the most likely culprit?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Jondog9, I have printed out the relevant sections and saved the manual. I did search a lot of forums trying something but none of them seemed to be quite the same situation I am dealing with. I am hoping that a new battery, better meter, and probably more patience I can make some headway. I will let you know, thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wanted to give an update, bought a new battery, installed and kicked right over. At idle it reads around 13.8v and up around 3g RPMs the volts are close to 15. Is that what we are looking for? I did fry the the flasher relay it arced on the subframe when I was chasing an open line, any easy replacement?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts