RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Hi.

So I've been doing some research and it appears that there aren't really many exhaust options available here. I would love a set of Ladybirds or a Yoshi RS3 setup but it seems only the SP2 has any quality options available new these days.

I recall a guy from SZ a few years ago peddling his BD junk. I will say right now I want no part of that.

It appears to me the real issue is the lack of any available mid or link pipes to get from the headers to the cans.

Is this correct? If not that then what, besides the fact there just aren't enough SP1's needing exhausts to justify making them, would be the issue?

·
Registered
291 Posts
you can adapt an sp2 header to work and then run sp2 slip ons. That's what i did for my sp1 motor in sp2 chassis. simon is the one you want to hit up for sp1 options. He is the man

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
there are a bunch of sp1 exhaust on ebay by Remus

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I have a few SP1 exhausts options here. FULL akrapovic or a slip on Banzai ti/CF ETHOS setup.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Switch to a SP2 header. That's the best start, then you can run any of the plethora of SP2 slip-ons.
I'd suggest to go with Sato's or LadyBirds. They seem to be the ones that make the best HP and torque. Of course, you need a Power Commander or Bazzaz with a canned fuel map or better yet a Dyno tune.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

It's funny as I've thought I would just leave it stock for the longest time but the urge to uncork the beautiful sounds this bike makes has gotten overwhelming.

And a Power Commander is needed too. Just too choppy in on/off throttle transitions at lower speeds. That's gotten old.

What's ironic is the guy I bought it from had an exhaust and PC on the bike before he sold it to me. Put it back to stock and sold them on Ebay before putting the bike up for sale. Oh well.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

It's funny as I've thought I would just leave it stock for the longest time but the urge to uncork the beautiful sounds this bike makes has gotten overwhelming.

And a Power Commander is needed too. Just too choppy in on/off throttle transitions at lower speeds. That's gotten old.

What's ironic is the guy I bought it from had an exhaust and PC on the bike before he sold it to me. Put it back to stock and sold them on Ebay before putting the bike up for sale. Oh well.
I've been thru 7 different sets of slip-ons in my whoring for the perfect setup since I swapped to SP2 exhaust. :)
Finally settled with Sato low mounts and a map from LDH's mods page. :doublesmiley:

It's common for sellers to take the upgrades of the bike and sell them seperate, get more $$ that way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been thru 7 different sets of slip-ons in my whoring for the perfect setup since I swapped to SP2 exhaust. :)
Finally settled with Sato low mounts and a map from LDH's mods page. :doublesmiley:

It's common for sellers to take the upgrades of the bike and sell them seperate, get more $$ that way.
Funny you should mention that. I am actively working out a deal for Sato low mounts at the moment. Wish me luck. If these or the Ladybird slip ons were still available new for the SP1 I would have never even had to start this thread.

I had started looking for a SP2 header when I came across the Satos and thought why not.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I am actively working out a deal for Sato low mounts at the moment. Wish me luck. If these or the Ladybird slip ons were still available new for the SP1 I would have never even had to start this thread.

I had started looking for a SP2 header when I came across the Satos and thought why not.
let me know if you get an sp-2 header...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess at this point it is pretty much official. I have a set of SP1 Sato low mounts on the way. Next will be a PC. I've caught wind of some issues (I'm sure I know very little about it in comparison) with the PC5 and RC's so I may be looking for a used PC3 USB.

Looking forward to finally making this bike sound good. Stock is just too quiet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update. Found a PC3 USB new for $99 @ motorcycle superstore. Think it was the last one but if anyone else is looking might be worth a shot.
That said I found a Dan Kyle map for SATO slip ons and downloaded that.

Anything I'm overlooking here? First time with a PC but it seems pretty straightforward.

Any advice using the accel pump feature? I've heard somewhere it can help smooth out the SP1 on/off throttle transition.

Thanks again to this forum. Lots of good reading and ideas have come from it so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One more thing. I was trying to download the map file from the Power Commander website for the PCIII. They have one for the Sato slip ons (file 105-308) but it would not allow me to download it.

I ended up right clicking on the link, copying the link address, and pasting it in a new browser window. Hit enter and it downloaded.

Just an FYI in case someone else is having the same problem. Could've been my browser (Chrome).

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Are Jardines no longer available for the SP1?

Last time I was in the market was 2008 (high mounts, love 'em!), so I ain't been payin' attention...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are Jardines no longer available for the SP1?

Last time I was in the market was 2008 (high mounts, love 'em!), so I ain't been payin' attention...
In all of my searching I never came across a set of "new" anything for the SP1 except some stuff on ebay. Remus I think it was. It had a newer squared off design I didn't like so I passed on it. Don't really know much about those. And being Ebay my thought is it was a mislabeled SP2 setup anyway.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts