RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56322

still having trouble guys. new fpr, air filters, plugs. it just doesnt want to idle 80% of the time. i disconnected all electronics, ecm, stuff under the tail and put dielectric grease on all connections. runs to redline in all gear very nice.

power commander currently has a zero map loaded on it. how is the fuel pump supposed to come on if the pc is unhooked? mine doesnt. the bike smells rich. this is a relatively new problem if you read the thread linked, never had this issue before.

pictures to note. looks like a crack in the ecm, although looking in it, it looks shallow cant see any electronics, and what appears to be a burnt connector. connected to the gray finned box.

·
Registered
729 Posts
converts ac to dc and controls the voltage, if it is goosed (and it looks very much like it is) the voltage will be high, low or erratic which will give you all sorts of problems

I don't like the look of the ECU either

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so would a weak r/r cause a low idle producing weak spark and unburnt fuel, i.e the rich smell i'm smelling?

i would think i would have starting problems/dead battery which i dont, if that were the case

·
Registered
729 Posts
You have identified 2 definite problems, i would replace the reg/rec and the plug ( you will need to change the plug anyway to fit a mofset unit)
I would also change the ECU, i have only seen electrical components split like that due to excessive voltage
check your battery and charge rate
If the problem persists you can start looking elsewhere, happy that you have sorted your charging system out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i might be leaning towards your reasoning as well, dansp1. nothing on the fuel/air side has changed since ive had the bike, and everything regarding that (fpr, etc...) checks out.

how much does an ecm run?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i get 12.9v at the battery with the bike off. a little over 13v at idle, and climb to 14v as the revs increase.

wouldnt that prove the r/r is OK?

how do i test the stator?

·
Registered
729 Posts
that all sounds ok, but i would guess it is fluctuating wildly if connections are not good, how is the other r/r plug?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that all sounds ok, but i would guess it is fluctuating wildly if connections are not good, how is the other r/r plug?
the other one looked fine. woth a note: the bike starts, and idles fine. i can leave it there to warm up in the driveway for ten min, and no problems. as soon as i leave it doesnt want to idle. also i can feel it stuttering/breaking up while cruising down the road. it pulls to redline like it should

it used to be an intermittent problem, now it's almost constant. on saturday i rode almost 50 miles before it started giving me hell.

this shit is so frustrating :mad:

i am about to pull up the manual and troubleshoot the electronics with my multi meter. after that, i dont know what else to do. i cant affod to blow money on a mechanic

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i checked the stator/alt. the resistance between the alt side 3p white connector's terminals seem in range, and there is no continuity between any terminal and ground.

now obviously these two pics below are not normal. the burnt alt/stator connector, and the two yellow wires coming off the r/r getting hot and burning the tape on/into them.
so, why/how would that have and happened, and is it safe to say i need a new r/r regardless due to these two pics?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts