RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SP1 (I think) Fuel Tank - now with more underside pictures SOLD

I was told this was the tank for an SP1 when I bought it about 7 years ago as a racing spare. It has a small dent on the front and numerous scratches but most of them appear to be superficial. I've tried to capture them as best I can in the pics but PM me if you need more info. I don't really know the value so I'm open to offers. Shipping will be around $80.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Theres no difference in the tanks fitment.
If a SP1 tank is used on a 2003, you might notice that the graphics don't line up perfectly with the 2003 wing on the side fairing. But it's close.
The graphics should match ok for 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2004 bikes.

There was issues with the SP1 gas tanks leaking on the underside where the rear bracket is welded to the tank. You'd want to inspect that for any signs of leakage. It usually turns the paint a very dark red if it leaks.

A picture of the underside where the hinge is and where the fuel pump mounts would be very helpful. Also a pic of the inside of the tank would be nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can do that. I did check to see if there were any signs of leaks but nothing obvious. Judging by the look of it I'd say it had hardly any use. I bought it around 2006 and the guy who sold it to me had it stored for 3-4 years before that. More pics to come.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bike was an 03 and this tank ain't the same. I suppose it could have been repainted but I looked for signs of that and it looks original.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
My 2000 had gold around the wings too, and I know for a fact it was the original tank. Damn sure was an SP1, cause it had the leaky weld/bracket.

I would think that if TXFireblade's tank isn't leaking, it most likely won't. Not all the SP1 tanks had that issue. Many were just fine, and are still fine to this day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2000 had gold around the wings too, and I know for a fact it was the original tank. Damn sure was an SP1, cause it had the leaky weld/bracket.

I would think that if TXFireblade's tank isn't leaking, it most likely won't. Not all the SP1 tanks had that issue. Many were just fine, and are still fine to this day.

Would it make sense to put water in tank to check for leakage or does there have to be pressure in tank?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts