RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 SP1 with around 44k miles on it. Once the bike arrived, we dug into it and have done a ton of maintenance on it that the previous owners never did. It came with a ladybird exhaust which I thought was obnoxious so I replaced that with a set of high mount microns (slip on system). I also removed the power commander as it’s not needed at our altitude. There are no other mods to the bike besides that but now I’m burning oil and it’s spotting. My uncle is a damn good mechanic and we seem to think it may be piston rings but any advice can help. This thing seems to be a money pit and quite frankly, I’m about to get rid of the damn thing. It’s literally one thing gets fixed than another breaks 🤬

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello.
I can't judge from that information, but in any case, because the engine is taken off the frame,
the piston rings and valve stem seal related to oil eating will have to be replaced.
The plated cylinder is sturdy, but if you have any problems, you can buy an upper case on ebay.

Also, you said that you removed the power commander, but I recommend that you add it.
This bike has no feedback control and does not automatically correct after muffler replacement.
Especially when eating oil, the fuel tone changes to a darker direction, so if you fix the engine, the symptoms may change.

And, importantly, SP1 is very rich in fuel, unlike SP2. Especially in the case of slip-on muffler, the fuel of
2000-4000rpm is very rich, so reducing it will improve the response and snatch resistance at low and medium revs.
(* Even if you do not set it with a dyno machine, you can get sufficient performance by adjusting in
the direction of reducing fuel a little by referring to the official mapping.)
This is hard to experience except when it appears in fuel efficiency, so many people don't attach or
remove the power commander....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well, it is a 20+ year old bike with high mileage, gonna need some TLC if the previous owner(s) neglected to look after it.

Anyways, like @c200ohv said, gonna need some more info - is it burning oil at start-up, upon accel, during decel, while the engine is cold or warm, etc (?) - did your uncle perform a leakdown test to better pinpoint the source of the oil burning?

Where exactly is the oil "spotting" (leaking?) from - did you trace that yet? Are the sparkplugs coated in oil too btw ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it is a 20+ year old bike with high mileage, gonna need some TLC if the previous owner(s) neglected to look after it.

Anyways, like @c200ohv said, gonna need some more info - is it burning oil at start-up, upon accel, during decel, while the engine is cold or warm, etc (?) - did your uncle perform a leakdown test to better pinpoint the source of the oil burning?

Where exactly is the oil "spotting" (leaking?) from - did you trace that yet? Are the sparkplugs coated in oil too btw ?
It tends to burn oil when it gets warm. I don’t have any issues with it when it’s still at around 170°. Once it hits about 200 when I start to see it smoke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It tends to burn oil when it gets warm. I don’t have any issues with it when it’s still at around 170°. Once it hits about 200 when I start to see it smoke.
There is a lack of information, but if it warms up and white smoke increases, it's probably a valve stem seal problem.
In any case, it will be the parts replacement I mentioned, so let's remove the engine from the car body first!
and it is better to check the crank metal, so disassembly is essential.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts