RC51 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried a Sp1 brake MC with Sp2 calipers? I got a honey of a deal on a set if Sp2 calipers but am running a sp1 MC. Will this totally mess up the feel/stopping?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
actually done it - no, but fact is the SP1 master is a larger diameter than the SP2 (will push more fluid) and the SP2 pistons are a smaller combination overall. End result - SP1 (larger) master with SP2(smaller overall piston area) will result in less lever travel required to achieve same braking force. it'll feel firmer to some degree. Will you totally mess up the feel - no. You will lose "some" of the modulation that you currently enjoy at the lever but not a lot in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually done it - no, but fact is the SP1 master is a larger diameter than the SP2 (will push more fluid) and the SP2 pistons are a smaller combination overall. End result - SP1 (larger) master with SP2(smaller overall piston area) will result in less lever travel required to achieve same braking force. it'll feel firmer to some degree. Will you totally mess up the feel - no. You will lose "some" of the modulation that you currently enjoy at the lever but not a lot in my opinion.

Thanks Scottm,
One of mine was damaged along with the forks and front wheel when I purchased it. I was able to pick up a set from a guy but he didn't know what year of RC they were take off. For $45.00 I took a chance. I took them apart and measured the pistons. They were 32/30 so Sp2 calipers.
I just didn't want to change the overall dynamics of the brakes too much by using my Sp1 master cylinder. I also don't want it to be too sensitive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts