RC51 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just bought a sp1 2001. Awesome bike took it first ride today. Was riding an R1 but you can't beat the Vtwin. A lilltle problem though someone might be able to help me with. Came back at night using full beam on the lights and the engine miss fired and popped (backfired) a couple of time? I have been told that this might be caused by the battery not being fully charged. Under full lights drained to much causing this issue?? any advice. Thanks John

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Did your FI light briefly come on when this occured?
If so, check your battery and ground connections for a tight fit with no corrosion or oxidation.
It has happened to other riders.

Also, running with both beams on draws a lot of current, and if running at a low enough RPM, it may not allow the alternator to generate sufficient current to keep the battery up to full charge.
The service manual has the voltage output checked with the engine at roughly 4500 RPM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. The R1 was bloody quick but not as fun to ride as the sp1. I've owned other v twins(Ducati) over the years but the sp1 takes the cake! I'll try not using the high beam at night but i live in the county so have to dodge the odd rabbit at night. john

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The R1 was bloody quick but not as fun to ride as the sp1. I've owned other v twins(Ducati) over the years but the sp1 takes the cake! I'll try not using the high beam at night but i live in the county so have to dodge the odd rabbit at night. john
I was intoning that if you're putt-putting around at low RPMs the system may not be putting out enough current to power all both headlights and charge the battery.
If you're out in the country and have the engine at say 4000 or more RPM, then the system should be generating enough power then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I went for another short blast today, enginge missing and back firing and this thime the red dash light has come on (F1). Might have to take it back to the shop I bought it from? Any Ideas about the warning light?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts