RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few questions

I am parting out a donor SP1 to put my '03 SP2 back together. I wanna see what problems I'm gonna run into. I am borrowing from the SP1 subframe, brakes, forks, rear shock. Anything I should worry about?

1.does an SP1 subframe fit on an SP2 frame?
2.does SP1 triple tree fit on an SP2 frame?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you have just a few bits that need changing, you may want to sell off your SP1 parts and by the SP2 parts, mainly the subframe and triples. Most will go over, but I would get the proper SP2 stuff for the subframe and triples!

Good luck on the build!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern is triple,brakes and subframe. I rushed into buying one for parts so when I found a 2000 which had lots of upgrades, I jumped on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lefty

I have a set of forks from my 2003 RC-51 that i am looking to sell. Just replaced them with Ohlins forks. If your interested let me know I'll give you a good price. They only have 220 miles on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a penske rear shock and suspension connctions forks, the prolem is that I don't know if the triple will fit on the '03 frame

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine is just the opposite. Everything from a 2003 was swapped onto a 2000 frame. I didn't do the swap, I got the bike like this. The only problem I've noticed with the triple is the steering lock didn't line up perfectly with the hole. I had to open it up a little to get the piston to clear the outside of the hole.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sp2 tripples have a larger post, so it will fit if you use the sp2 bearings,as for the brakes,sp1 rotors are a differant width then sp2 but will interchange,sp2 subframe fits an sp1 but unsure of the reverse, shocks are the same bolt up, hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
The SP2 steering stem has a larger diameter than the SP1, that was one of the numerous improvements Honda made.
The SP2 front rotors were also made .5mm thicker than SP1 rotors to reduce warping.
But .5mm is hardly noticeable.
The SP2 subframe was redesigned to lose more weight, but mainly to make it easier to modify for racing than the SP1 subframe.
Of course the ECU was moved from the rear section to next to the battery to also make it easier to race modify.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts