RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my new to me SP1 with 38K (yes its high miles) pops on decel since I bought it but now its beginning to bother me. Otherwise runs perfect and loads of power. The flapper valve mod has been done to my knowledge. The vacuum line is not connected - aside from that any way for me to confirm is actually completed? I lifted the tank last night to check the pair valves and found the mod has been done as well as the holes are filled.

Its got OEM air filters. however it has high mount HMF slip ons. I have tightened all connections in the exhaust and dont believe there are leaks although I could be wrong I guess. I've asked the previous owner how many miles are on the slip ons because thats all I could think of - That they need re packing?

It doesnt have a power commander on it at the moment but I have a PCII I could hook up but not sure what map is on it. Worth a try?

Other ideas? I plan on changing the plugs. My next move would be to remove the entire exhaust and put all new exhaust gaskets in.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
PAIR mod plates, helps with the popping. one plate on each valve cover

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Even if the oem covers are sealed off? I didnt go as far as removing them to see if the reed valves were still left under them but they were clearly disconnected and the holes filled with some kind of epoxy.

If the gaskets on the oem covers are still good - What would plates do that those arent?

I used to race a 600RR and the closest thing ive had to an RC is a buell xb12S so im new to this bike.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
its probably because you dont have a power commander, they really help

·
Registered
510 Posts
After I put on some shorter GP cans I had a lot of popping on deceleration, not the worst problem to have, it sounds fantastic...for a little bit.

When I installed the PC III USB, the popping went away immediately, definitely look into putting one on your bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to throw the PCII I have at home on it in a couple hours to see if that helps any. Will report back. If so - Then I'll go from there. If not - I guess I'll change exhaust gaskets and double check the pair valves

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCII I had isnt good. I put it on and bike fires up but stumbles a bit every now and then and I get the FI light blinking. I am going to have the check each and every wire on the PC to find whats up or take it to an electrical place down the road and see if he can find the problem. OR I just buy a PCIII USB and be done with it.

Regardless....due to the FI light I didnt want to take the chance and ride it so no clue if it made a difference on decel or not.

Grrr...I'll keep this updated with my progress for anyone who cares.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tightened up all connections however I couldn't really find any leaks that were blatantly noticeable. I would rather not take the entire system off to replace all the gaskets if its not necessary but looks like it may be my only option.

Its not a physical problem per say - Its just annoying. If I have to learn to live with it I will but I think the bike is running lean as it gets worse when the bike heats up

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I tightened up all connections however I couldn't really find any leaks that were blatantly noticeable. I would rather not take the entire system off to replace all the gaskets if its not necessary but looks like it may be my only option.

Its not a physical problem per say - Its just annoying. If I have to learn to live with it I will but I think the bike is running lean as it gets worse when the bike heats up
There are probably a few here that upgraded to a pc5 and I bet if you post wanted pc3 usb you would find one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I thought I would dig into this PCII a little more since at the moment its a paper weight. I took it apart and carefully removed the silicone over the electric board and wires. I took my multimeter and checked continuity on every single wire along with checking the pin connections. everything checked out. I cant see any obvious problems or burn marks on the board.

So figuring maybe it was something wrong with the map that was on it I went to radioshack and got a serial to USB cable. I then figured out the wiring so that I could power the PCII with a 9 volt battery (I dont have the adapter and its not hooked up to the bike at the moment). So I opened up the software and clicked the button to see whatever map was on it and nothing really came up. I am thinking it had no map in it or the map was corrupt. I proceeded to then load the Dan Kyle Sato Map onto it (found on the rogue site, Thanks!!!) which everyone seems to think is a great map. It loaded onto the PCII just fine. I disconnected it, reconnected it, and then pressed the same button as before to show the map currently on the PCII and guess what - The dan kayle map popped up. So at least now I know there is a good map on the pcII that isnt messed up. I am eagerly awaiting to hook it up to the bike and see if she works! I have another 70 minutes at work and a 20 minute commute (took the truck today as it was supposed to rain) to see if the FI light problem is gone. I feel like a little kid on xmas morning.

Cross your fingers for me guys. My fiance and I are planning our wedding...I bought the bike for 3K to commute with as my work truck just turned over 200K and is becoming less reliable. Didnt want to buy a new car or truck and spend 3 times as much.....but if I blow another dollar she may kill me. Really praying this pcII works and solves my popping issue. Dont feel like buying another power commander.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ Sounds like you're making some progress with the PCII but did you already check/pull the trouble codes from the FI light ? If so, what codes were stored?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally had a few minutes to take her around the block and first impressions are that it's a whole new bike! The Dan Kyle sato map is awesome. No more choppy on off clutch. Lots more torque down low and wow you can hear the engine through the air box now roaring when accelerating.

God I knew I would fall in love with this bike- and it's getting better and better

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
too bad the pcII i had is killing my battery for some reason. (ground was good, all wires are good. something internal) and it kept loosing the map for some reason.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts