RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, been researching but it seems that the older threads that would probably have this info have been deleted.

i'm looking for the right upgrade path. i weigh 175, am debating whether i should upgrade the swingarm to the SP2, and while i'm at it, upgrade the read shock. i had an unfortunate lowside and the spool was installed, tearing the mount. it makes me wonder if the swingarm is tweaked, hence the consideration to go to the SP2 swingarm since i may need a new swingarm.

i understand that the sp2 swingarm will need some different hardware. since it is longer, i am also thinking that a new chain will be required, though i plan on going 1 tooth down to a 15t front sproket which would reduce overall chain length.

the other consideration is a new rear shock. currently there is a penske double clicker i am looking at. i don't think i'll be on track this year, an more likely is lots of around day to day riding as this is my daily. i do however get on it, so durability and performance both matter. perhaps a revalve?

so, here are the options

1. sp1 swingarm - requires no additional hardware, and going down a tooth means just removing a link of chain (or so).

2. sp1 swingarm + rear shock mod - i believe this is a good compromise, still won't need anymore chain for the sprocket.

3. sp2 swingarm + rear shock - most money outlay, probably the best set of hardware, but i wonder if the cost is worth it. i'm no hero on a bike, and my primary concern honestly is making sure i have a solid rear suspension setup to make the most of my modest bike talent. but if it isn't necessary to spend on the additional hardware and the hassle of sourcing and setting it up, i can instead get a new rear tire.

open to thoughts as to the most efficient upgrade path.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
When I talked to LDH about all this, his recommendation was a SP1 swingarm, Kyle link and Ohlins. When I told him I was installing a SP2 swingarm, he suggested to not using the Kyle link with the Ohlins. He also said he only knows of one person who made the Penske work properly with the Kyle link (special valving done).

If money is an issue, I would stay with the SP1 swingarm and get the Penske. If you can afford an Ohlins, I would go that route.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're just riding the street, I would go with the SP-1 swinger and upgrade the shock. I have an SP-1 with SP-2 suspension. I was thinking of getting the Dan Kyle link until I read this post. Is it not recommended for my set up?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
If you're just riding the street, I would go with the SP-1 swinger and upgrade the shock. I have an SP-1 with SP-2 suspension. I was thinking of getting the Dan Kyle link until I read this post. Is it not recommended for my set up?
LDH said the link ws developed for the SP1. When the SP2 came out, they fixed the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello, I have a swingarm sp2, about two months, in my sp1 ..

of all the changes I've made so far, this was without doubt the best, the bike is lighter curved, corner and against the curve, is much easier to turn ..

I'm no rossi, but I like to run hills, I rarely track and for me it was the best thing that changed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts