RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
First time poster here. I only have part of an RC51 - in that I have SP2 forks fitted to my '99 VFR.

Anyhow, I got a set of Ohlins valves for them and cant work out how to take the damper rods apart. At the bottom of the tube the valve is about 2.5" inside the tune, so inaccessible. At the top the oil lock peice is crimped to the rod so doesn't seem to be removable.

Does anyone know how to take these suckers apart?

Thanks
AB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Waldo,
Thanks for the reply. I see from one of your other posts you've fitted RT valves to your '00, I assume these have the same damper rods that would be in the SP2.

When you say drill out the pinged points, how deep do I drill? once drilled, how hot do you need to get them to break the loctite?

If you can see this pic there are 2 of the drill points visible if I'm reading you right.

Cheers
AB

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
You will need a couple things first. A 3/16 drill bit, Loctite Red thread locker, Cartridge Holder (I made mine from a 1" black pipe and a dremel) and a hand help propane torch. You drill the pinged points until you see the threads in the hole. It does not take allot of pressure. Take your time. Be very careful NOT to drill all the way through the cartridge. Once you have all the pinged drilled put the cartridge in the holder. Heat the area where the pings are. It does not need to be red hot just heated. Now unscrew the tube. Be careful not to warp the tube. Once it is apart, clean the threads. When you’re done installing the valve, you will need to use red Loctite on the threads when putting it back together.

Too bad your now closer to Idaho, I would give you a hand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank mate, thats a bit clearer, luckily I have a spare (from a wrecked fork I picked up) to practice on...

and yes, unfortunately I live on the other side of the planet from you, not so easy to pop by for some advice :)

Cheers
Adam
(Australia)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi mate, got it done thanks to your help, couldn't have done it without you.

Just gone midnight here, so 3.5 hours to remove and replace the valves - now enjoying a well earned beer :)

Cheers
Adam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts