RC51 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this 2002 RC51 a few days ago. It was fine except for that you had to put a little throttle into it when cranking to get it started. It idled and ran fine. Starting just yesterday when i would start the bike it would idle horribly. Almost surging, when i put a little throttle into it it would pop at around 5k RPM. Getting it to go in first gear takes an abnormal amount of throttle and even then extremely lacks power. Going down the road its finicky. Rpm is not very steady. As soon as i get going and hit about 20 MPH the problem fixes itself and it runs and idles fine. I need some advice on how to fix this. Thanks guys! The motorcycle has slip on exhausts, PC3.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Most likely suspect: a failed fpr. Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Lift the fuel tank, pull the smaller hose, the vac hose, off the fpr. Then turn on the ignition key. As the fuel pump is priming, watch for leaking gas from the fpr.

Even if you see no traces of fuel, the fpr could still be bad. There's a diaphragm in there that deteriorates with age and storage, then begins leaking. The leaking fuel is sucked into the throttle bodies, giving the exact symptoms you described.

I'd probably change oil, and check the spark plugs if indeed your fpr has been leaking.

btw, stop by the intro forum and post up a howdy. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts