RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally joined the forum after 4 years of SP2 ownership and plenty of lurking!

My first RC51 was a salvage title bike out of Arizona with (cheap) Colin Edwards fairings in Castrol livery. It looked like it was raced for many years and was pretty tired. Salvage title because of a small dent in the frame. By small I mean tiny. Since it was meant to be a track bike, the value at the asking price was excellent. In the meantime it has continued its hard life as a learning tool for an enthusiasm > talent rider like myself. Typical HRC quality, the thing just keeps going and going. Amazing.

Then two years ago I got the RC bug again. I love the sound!! A mint 2004 Hayden showed up in February while I was vacationing in Honolulu and, possibly drunk, hit Buy It Now. No regrets however. She arrived as pristine as she was described, with beautiful Sato pipes and 7,000 miles on the clock.

She has since been treated to Ohlins rear w/cartridge up front. Sato rearsets. Flapper delete. SS brake lines. Corbin seat.

I haven't changed the wheels to a lightweight set and that's perhaps the next item on the list when the time (read: money) permits.

It's not nearly as light or nimble as my RSV4 RF, but it does provide a sensation of being on a special machine from a special time. Nowadays it makes a great third (or eighth?) bike, but it checks a box that needs checking. It's manly. It's butch. It's commitment. It has a presence! People always gather around a nice RC. Every owner I've ever met is a pretty cool guy, if I may say so myself!

I love that RC Thunder!

Thanks for the add. Cheers.

The Botsy

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welcome. The NH replica is the nicest design of the N. American original colour schemes in my eyes. Well done for bagging a nice one.

I did a similar thing one night, although not under any influence... :D

I convinced myself I was going to need a dirt bike for riding on with my kids and put a bid on one, then before going to bed checked motards and found a low priced Husqvarna also in nice condition. With the auctions ending late that night, I just put in my maximum bids for each and went to bed.

Next morning I expected to have bought the dirt bike, but was surprised to see my silly bid for the Husky had also been successful. Now, I'd wanted a proper motard a long time and this was a nice one, so aside from guilty feelings from a $7,000 overnight binge, it felt good.

Thought about how I was going to justify having bought 2 more bikes to my wife, then came clean 2 days later and told her, trying lamely to justify myself.
She just cracked up laughing at me; she knows my weaknesses.

Since then though, I've promised myself not to buy any more bikes till I finish the existing projects and so far have kept my word. The SP2 is hard to beat as the complete package of what it represents.

Enjoy this one and never, ever sell the 2004. :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Welcome. You're lucky to just end up with a pristine SP after a night of revelry in Honolulu, been there and had the headaches and wallet aches to go with them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here's a shot of my 2003 SP2 track bike with Sato exhaust, PCIII, and hokey pokey fairings. Chinese Colin Edwards fairings have arrived and will be installed for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts