RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
James 03 and RCDevil both have PC's for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
LDH sells them new I asked him the other week, get in touch with him as I thought the prices was great, I believe was $250 + shipping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You can get a PCV for about the same price new...$258 if I recall.

Super bike supply.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Cool I saw them for more than that but $265 is what they're asking, do you not need the switch or autotune thingamejig stuff? I did some research on it a while back and it got expensive or there were no maps for my setup or something... But the PC3 did have maps. Could be just blowing smoke but there was something that made me lean towards PC3

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Cool I saw them for more than that but $265 is what they're asking, do you not need the switch or autotune thingamejig stuff? I did some research on it a while back and it got expensive or there were no maps for my setup or something... But the PC3 did have maps. Could be just blowing smoke but there was something that made me lean towards PC3

You do not need the autotune, the PCV can run alone. Maps can be converted from a PCIII to the PCV, it is as simple as clicking a button.

The PCV runs the exact same as the PCIII...but it is scalable, so you can add things (autotune, etc...) if you want.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I haven't used one myself but would expect the PCV's autotune will require drilling into and welding a bung onto the exhaust for fitting of a wideband O2 sensor (Probably in the collector box?). Once tuned the sensor can be removed and a large short bolt put into it's place. Anyways, just something to bear in mind. Otherwise - sure, it'll work the same as a PCIIIUSB.

BTW, PC3r (Older) is not the same and uses a serial port adaptor. I have one of those, which is a little less sophisticated but as it works perfectly I'm not changing it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I haven't used one myself but would expect the PCV's autotune will require drilling into and welding a bung onto the exhaust for fitting of a wideband O2 sensor (Probably in the collector box?). Once tuned the sensor can be removed and a large short bolt put into it's place. Anyways, just something to bear in mind. Otherwise - sure, it'll work the same as a PCIIIUSB.

BTW, PC3r (Older) is not the same and uses a serial port adaptor. I have one of those, which is a little less sophisticated but as it works perfectly I'm not changing it. :)

The PCV can run without the autotune, but yes the autotune does require the welding of two O2 sensors (which is why I haven't installed yet)...but just found a shop that will do it.

LDH has some good articles on how to properly utilize the autotune feature...and dynojet has a good instructional video as well.

Since a PCV is only $265 new...it is worth getting if you don't have a PC. As stated before, swapping your PCIII for a PCV will yield zero benefits unless you plan on incorporating the additional features and functions (which cost more).

But having the ability to get the same map data without spending money on dyno time is worth it in the long run...especially if you constantly upgrade or swap parts that would impact the map (or elevation changes).

After doing some research, th

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
2 x O2 sensors. That's nice. I've never tuned a car with more than one. An Autotune is a nice function, but some areas of the map won't be easy to visit, so there may need to be some interpolation there. I guess LDH's guide covers this though. It's interesting to map engine management systems, so why not DIY! :)

Elevation changes should (In theory!) be compensated for by the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor. :)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I will report back in a month or so to let you know how it goes...if some doesn't beat me to it.

Yes, certain areas of a map actually don't get "tuned"...and LDH even mentions that you have to really understand the data before you mess with it because you can quickly mess up a map and run a muck with fueling if you accept the wrong change in values.

I'm very excited to play with it :D

Here is a quick video about it.

http://youtu.be/AOi9NHRv7jE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts