RC51 Forums banner

SP2 Race Bike Wanted

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sam23 
#1 · (Edited)
SP2 Race Bike or well sorted track bike wanted.

Im after a race bike, or a really well sorted track bike SP2 and a good one, preferable with spares [ rims ] etc. Pay good money for the right bike. Im not after a road bike, but saying that if there was one around with all fruit on it that would also suit. Like some performance mods and suspension, i dont care if it has some rash on it, but it must be low kms with no mechanical issues. I will be using it as a dedicated track bike.
Thanks Lyndon

#2 ·
Where are you located? I don't want to sell mine but the wife and I decided not to race this year so no point in letting it collect dust if someone else could enjoy it. It's a clean title 03 with ~19k miles, Penske shock, I believe Dan Kyle fork internals (have the paperwork), Woodcraft clipons, mount for Scotts damper, debadged Akrapovic? pipes, and PCIII. She's been sitting for a few months since a lowside and needs right side rearset and some bodywork repairs. No spare wheels unfortunately. Located in Virginia. $3500

And cringe as I hit the reply button...sniffle sniffle.

#3 ·
sp2

im in australia. which is no big deal. just need to get it to CA for shipping. trouble is that is as much as the OS shipping cost. so i would prefer a west coast bike.
if you can send some pics please.
importwerks@gmail.c om
thanks lyndon

#5 ·
Im after a race bike, or a really well sorted track bike SP2 and a good one, preferable with spares [ rims ] etc. Pay good money for the right bike. Im not after a road bike, but saying that if there was one around with all fruit on it that would also suit. Like some performance mods and suspension, i dont care if it has some rash on it, but it must be low kms with no mechanical issues. I will be using it as a dedicated track bike.
Thanks Lyndon

You do realize there is no real discernible performance difference between the 2 models right? SP2 has 1-2 hp over the SP1 in top end power, but looses the same amount in mid range to the SP1. One can always swap over an SP2 swinger if they wished, but its not a necessity.

Something to keep in mind while searching as it may open up your pool of options especially since you are looking on the left coast. Also, depending on who you find to ship a bike average would be around 600 from coast to coast. There are some threads here about that, which can be found through the search feature. And lastly, calling it a "race" bike you might wind up with salvage certificates or bill of sale only. Not such a big deal if only staying on the track but BOS may present a problem with customs. Salvage certificates are usually fine. Clean titles will not present any problems as long as they are clear(paid off with no liens) but understand the market usually demands more for such machines. Something you may need to take into consideration when trying to decide which bike to go with.

#6 ·
You do realize there is no real discernible performance difference between the 2 models right?
I very much disagree with this. The track handling is much improved. From a source I trust. http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0908_honda_rc51_rvt1000r_sportbike/viewall.html

Those who spent time on both the SP1 and SP2 report that the differences were noticeable, with the sharper handling and better fueling the most apparent.
In '02, Honda released a new SP2 model that featured a host of upgrades, most of them directly from the race kit for the SP1 model. It made about five more horsepower, much of that due to the larger 62mm throttle bodies and redesigned cylinder head porting. Remapped fuel injection curves and finer 12-jet injectors helped eliminate the previous throttle response problem. Other major changes included sharper steering geometry, with the rake pulled back to 23.5 degrees and trail shortened to 94.6mm (3.7 inches), and each side radiator equipped with its own fan to address the overheating issues that plagued the SP1. The new swingarm was basically the SP1 race kit model, stretching the wheelbase by 16mm while adding rigidity and cutting weight in the process. The SP2 model had a taller (1.2 inches) windscreen developed from Colin Edwards' World Superbike mount, as well as redesigned mufflers for less weight. All told, the SP2 dropped about eight pounds in the process.

#8 ·
We're just going to have to agree to disagree for now.

When you have spent a few years getting to know your RC, then spend another few years on the other model, then you can come back and tell me all the reasons i was wrong. Or better yet you can pour through thousands of pages of data from here, zilla, and org. from real world experiences of real RC owners(not some bought and paid for write up from a mag. playwright) and tell all the others they are wrong too.

#10 ·
Sp1 or 2

Thanks for all the advice, Im really after the Sp2. Its newer and I like that. As far title etc, it will never be registered, so as long as it can be shipped all good. I have always wanted one of these, I track a 2012 ZX10R at the moment and im after a good bike that I can I can fun on. I ran with one at Phillip Island a few weeks ago, after I thought, yep gotta have one of them, great out of the corners and sounded great.

No bike yet, Im in no rush and im sure the right one will come up.

I see your point about the shipping, Im quite happy to pay the $600 as It may get me a better bike in the long run.

Thanks Lyndon

#11 ·
I have an SP2, willing to sell.

GUM-
Did you find your SP2 yet? I have a 2002 with some good race mods if your still interested. I live in the USA, but from what I can see from the post above, your willing to pay for shipping. let me know if still interested and I can give you details.
thanks,

#13 ·
I have a 2002 SP2. The list of mods are; CF Yosh cans, PC3, all the emission mods, OZ forged wheels (gold color), vesrah brake pads, ohlins valves in forks, ohlins shock with race link (more linear motion), front brake lines and 520 chain spockets. It's all in street trim now. I tracked this bike for a little while and do have clip ons, rear seats and old race body work. The street body work is CLEAN! I attached a photo of how it sits today. The bike does have some scratches. Right side gas tank and right side exhaust. NO dents. The bike has alomst 30k miles (not sure if that is too much for you). NO mechanical issues. I still run it on the street now. I use AMSOIL (full synthetic) and change early and often. Let me know if this is a bike your serious about. My direct email is sam@mriaes.com and I monitor that email. If you are interested, I have no idea what your plans are to get the bike to you, but if this works out, I'll do my best to help on this end.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.