RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if there is any advantage of having an SP2 subframe over and SP1? Or does anyone manufacture one similair to the HRC race kit version?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The SP2 subframe was designed to allow the rear portion to be trimmed for race bodywork, which then resembled the HRC subframe.
The SP2 subframe is a bit lighter, plus it went with the repositioned battery and ECU under the rider's seat for mass centralization.

Here's a comparison of the HRC SP2 and an regular SP2.
Note the similar shape of the subframes (especially if you imagine the rear portion removed from the SP2's).

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Will a SP2 fit on a SP1?
Physically it should.
However the fenders are different since the ECU is located behind the battery vs alongside as in the SP2.
I'm not sure if the SP1 fender will mate with the SP2 subframe, but on the surface it looks like it might.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm....interesting. thanks for the info Subsailor. i'm thinking i might try an sp2 subframe, and modify it if i need to. The fenders are different, you'd have to buy an sp2 fender to go with it. the subframe attachments and relay mounts are different

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
hmm....interesting. thanks for the info Subsailor. i'm thinking i might try an sp2 subframe, and modify it if i need to. The fenders are different, you'd have to buy an sp2 fender to go with it. the subframe attachments and relay mounts are different
As long as the the SP2 sub would bolt and be in the correct angle/location to mount the tail fairing, the rest does not matter. If you do mount one, post it. I would be interested.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Here's the two fenders for comparison.
The SP1 only had three relays (in line across) at the rear as opposed to four (2 on each side) for the SP2.
The main difference would be the length of the wiring harnesses to allow repositioning.

SP1 Rear Fender

SP2 Rear Fender

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as the the SP2 sub would bolt and be in the correct angle/location to mount the tail fairing, the rest does not matter. If you do mount one, post it. I would be interested.
ok will let you know

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Here's the two fenders for comparison.
The SP1 only had three relays (in line across) at the rear as opposed to four (2 on each side) for the SP2.
The main difference would be the length of the wiring harnesses to allow repositioning.

SP1 Rear Fender

SP2 Rear Fender
Thanks sub

In my situation, all my relays and ECU have been moved. I would be using a custome fender/undertail. I am more concerned with will it bolt to the SP1 frame and if so, are the tail fairing holes in the same location. Does anyone have a spare SP2 Sub they would like to either sell cheap or loan me to try?

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waldo, i got an SP2 sub frame in the mail right now. i iwll post up and let you know if it fits in a few days. If you end up doing it, Ben has a few SP2 sub frames in varying condition, a few are slightly tweaked but could be twisted back easily......could save you a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good to know. i figured it would be fine. thanks for letting us know for sure though, i will still post up some pics when i get mine on.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, ben has a few subframes too. mine will be here next week.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Those subframe bolts are T50 Torx and they are really torqued down.
Just get a 3/8ths drive T50 bit and apply firm and steady pressure, they will give eventually.
You can replace them with 10x30mm flanged hex.

That same T50 bit will also remove the caliper bracket mount bolts, which Honda has discontinued.
You can replace those with socket head or flanged hex.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bolted my SP2 sub frame on toay. was a direct bolt up and everything on the tail fit perfect. the only thing is the wiring.....you'll have to play with the SP1 harness to get everything to fit right and and be somewhat organized.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Photos please!! :p

Just wondering why you decide to go with the swap GTS, was it simply for the weight saving and better weight distrabution of the Battery and ECU? And/or did it make it easier to do other mods, like an undertail, or anything?

I have been thinking of doing the mod since you posted this originally, and saw the advantages posted by subsailor. Also, do you think if I decide to do it later, will the hotbodies undertail that I was planning to mount to the SP1 fender (modified), will it simply swap over to the SP2 fender. I'm thinking it it will, but since you have all of these things in front of you, I thought it a good time to ask.

oh, and pictures please!!

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok ill get some pics today....the hotbodies tray will swap over no problem but you will have to buy an SP2 battery tray and swap that.

My reasons for doing this was...weight savings, to have the option of making a full track bike with a cut down sub frame if i decide to fully convert the bike to a full time track bike, and finally to try to clean up the rear....the space on the on the sides allow me a little better wirinrg plan.

Most of these subframes go for about 200. you don't save that much weight...a little but not much. If you plan on just doing it for the street....save your money. i got lucky and got my subframe from a part out for 120. if you get a steal, it doesnt hurt but be aware you will have to buy a sp2 tray as well. Not much gain compared to cost....unless you plan on a full track bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts