RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word around the campfire is that putting an SP2 swingarm on an SP1 improves traction and feedback. Has anyone done/tried this? If so would it be recommended?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im pretty sure my SP1 has a SP2 swinger. Its a 2000 and has spools and from what I understand SP1's didn't have the threads for them. I just picked it up and Im doing all the free mods today. Ill be posting pics when I get it tuned and cleaned up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im pretty sure my SP1 has a SP2 swinger. Its a 2000 and has spools and from what I understand SP1's didn't have the threads for them. I just picked it up and Im doing all the free mods today. Ill be posting pics when I get it tuned and cleaned up.
Incorrect.

SP-1: '00 model
Swingarm has bobbin adapters on there for paddock stand
Front forks are a brown type color with blue adjusters atop of the forks
SP-1: '01 model onwards
Swingarm bobbin adapters not present. This was done in order to use the HRC type rear paddock stand.
Front forks color is changed to a lighter gold color with silver (aluminum finish) adjusters atop of the forks. (This color scheme was then utilized across the range of the SP 1's until the end of production)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Incorrect.

SP-1: '00 model
Swingarm has bobbin adapters on there for paddock stand
Front forks are a brown type color with blue adjusters atop of the forks
SP-1: '01 model onwards
Swingarm bobbin adapters not present. This was done in order to use the HRC type rear paddock stand.
Front forks color is changed to a lighter gold color with silver (aluminum finish) adjusters atop of the forks. (This color scheme was then utilized across the range of the SP 1's until the end of production)
Ahhh. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an opportunity to pick up an sp2 swinger for my 00. I'm really interested in what all has to be changed and what problems this solves ie, do u have to use sp2 shock? Can u use sp2 pipes once the swingarm is swapped? Anyone done this here or have any links?

·
Registered
24 Posts
REXGUNN
- You have to get a SP2 rear engine spacer, the one that fits into the provision which the swing arm bolt slides through.. there is no part # for this... trust me, I have already done this mod on my old rc51 sp1.. otherwise, yes its a nice improvement performance wise, but unless your a madman on that bike you may not notice, but its cosmetically a big improvement in my opinion... my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The SP2 Swingarm is supposed to provide better feel, and as others have said is cosmetically better in the eyes of those who believe it so. I personally like the look of the SP2 Swingarm better.

The job is pretty straight forward, but the best advise is to read the following, (props to Ben for this amazing document!!):

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/60107-sp1-sp2-swingarm-swap-document.html

This write-up walks you through the entire process.

You will need to buy the identified SP2 hardware, and have fabricated one of either sleeves for the swingarm pivot bolt. I went with the 2 individual sleeves based on information I found. It's also a great time to re-lube everything. I like Bel Ray. They simply don't use enough (or any) when the bikes are assembled in the factory...so ver very sad.

For me, an additional advantage of swapping the swingarms, was it aloud me to install a HRC exhaust system as the swingarm is a different shape along the right side.

You asked about using your stock SP1 shock, the answer is yes they are interchangeable between swingarms, but consider RC51parts.com for a SP2 rear shock if you wanted to upgrade and have a tighter budget. Also consider a new suspension link if you haven't already.

You still won't be able to use an SP2 exhaust system with your SP1. It's the exhaust port where the headers meets up with the casing that's different, it's Oval on the SP2, and round on your SP1. I would think you could fabricate a different flange or mid pipe to make it fit if you wanted, but I have no idea if it's possible or if the pipe would remain efficient.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
RGV,

I got extremely lucky with the HRC system. I wanted an RC51 for years, and as it turned out a friend of a friend, knew a guy who knew another guy who was able to hook me up. And I'm not kidding it was that many people removed. Being that the pipe was an HRC pipe it was only useable for a circular exhaust port which meant 2000 or 2001 RC51. Or so the story goes.

It is in fact an HRC system, and not a European replica. The pictures I have posted are from my blackberry, but once the build starts coming together as opposed to coming apart, I plan on making a thread with some decent photos following the entire build to Dyno.

sorry for Hy-jacking the thread, back to the topic, SP2 Swingarm on a SP1.

·
Registered
145 Posts
One more thing to think about

If you note on the specs of the SP1/SP2 the wheelbase is identical, but the caster is 0.5' tighter on the SP2 while the swingarm is longer, so overall your wheelbase will increase. This is great for straight line stability and out of corner ease, but hurts you going into the corner and/or changing lines mid corner. If you are racing it may be an issue, if you are not it might even be an improvement.
The difference though is small enough that a bike with a new chain and the axle pulled to the front and one with a loose chain and the wheel all the way to the back may have more difference. The front to back slack is more than a link-set.

More thought for food :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts