RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
summers comin and i wanna make it run cooler, i wanna replace the sp1 dinky rad fan and maybe that will make her run cooler
im ripping my bike up to put engine ice in her and check my FPR an im something like this? anybody got pics of one they have done specifically the wiring and mounting?

thanks guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
search the forums, there are a lot of walkthroughs and results. I picked up a pair from these guys. Seemed to be the only place that had them in stock for less than 90 a pop (59ea)

A1 Electric Automotive Accessories
2301 W 205th Street Suite 101
Torrance CA 90501

(888) 838-0506 ... (310) 328-8500
email: [email protected]
www.a1electric.com

If you have an SP1, you can replace the fan switch, otherwise tap into the black wire on your fan relay in the tail (SP2) and put it on a manual switch to ground for a manual override.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can also reverse the fan rotation and that helps alot also. Live in Las vegas and first year the bike would overheat so changed the fan rotation and have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You need to change two wires around to reverse the polarity but you also need to flip the fan blades also. Was not that hard, just do a search about doing it. Makes a huge change.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I guess you just need to reverse polarity, but how did you do it?
John, All one has to do is reverse the polarity on the fan/s, flip blade as well is a must !!!
BIG TEMP DIFF:D this is the first mod i did to mine way back when.

You need to change two wires around to reverse the polarity but you also need to flip the fan blades also. Was not that hard, just do a search about doing it. Makes a huge change.
+1, Well said Yellow.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
The blades are directional on the stock fan. Turning them the opposite direction gets you a much less efficient fan, that will actually be worse when stopped. You would have to turn the fan blade around as duck hunter said for it to effective. I wouldn't even bother as the stock fans are pretty worthless when it comes to output. Once you get the 5.5in spal fan in your hand and feel the different outputs of the two side by side, you'll see what I mean.

One fan was enough for me in traffic and 100+ deg weather. At about 105-110 they wouldn't be enough, depending on humidity. Trackdays in 100+ weren't bad either with one fan.

These guys are who I bought mine from, $41 + $7 shipping is a little more than what I paid, so I guess prices have gone up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spal-5-5-Pusher-Motorcycle-ATV-Axial-Motor-Fan-/190735409439?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c68b7611f&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Factory on SP2 are 2 pull fans. Mine were pointless if riding 30-40mph as the air hitting the bike woukd negate the fans. I went with dual pushers, but you really only need one. 2 will cool the temp 1 degree every second and a half. Also the Spal fans are about 2x air flow

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is the brand of fan. The popular ine is the 5.5" pusher 313cfm. New ones I believe are 330 (choice of 1 or 2). The brackets are pretty straight forward although I did have to modify the top left bracket to clear the rad hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a spare VA14-AP7/C-34S - SPAL Radiator Fan - 7.5" (190mm) I will see if I can make this fit on my SP-1, Brackets will need to be made by hand anyway, if not I will have to fit the 5.5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts