RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those have done the upgrade, what spal model did you purchase? Iver read quite a few threads.. seen quite a few picks. Some guys running 5.5, some 5.2 .. some no shrouds?!?!
Just would like to know what i should order since I may be going in this direction.
Thank you.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What?!? Where's the write up man?

I have the same ones on mine.
I got lazy James! I did this a year and a half ago when I messed up my knee and was waiting on knee surgery. I'll have to dig through the pics on my phone and post them.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I got lazy James! I did this a year and a half ago when I messed up my knee and was waiting on knee surgery. I'll have to dig through the pics on my phone and post them.
Ah, know how that goes but I usually get to into whatever I'm doing to remember to take pictures.

Now that you've said that it sounds familiar, did we talk about it? Oh well, I don't remember, hope the knee is doing better.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ah, know how that goes but I usually get to into whatever I'm doing to remember to take pictures.

Now that you've said that it sounds familiar, did we talk about it? Oh well, I don't remember, hope the knee is doing better.
We may have James. I must have bothered 10 people while I was installing them. Knee is doing better. Unfortunately because I favored that knee so much for awhile, now my left knee is always in pain. :/

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
damn, that looks pretty good! like it came like that

·
Registered
606 Posts
damn, that looks pretty good! like it came like that
Thanks! I would have liked to place them more over the radiators but the air scoops I have installed wouldn't allow it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking to do this mod as I live in Florida. Over the years it looks like several fans have been used, with shroud/ without shroud, 5.5's and 5.2's. It seems like the 5.2's may be the best for this application with efficiency and clearance. I have two questions.
1) Are you mounting the fans with the shroud contacting the fins or are you giving some clearance. (2) I try to make things look factory, are you using Honda connectors? Just trying to learn some of the details from the people who did the R and D first. Thanks for the help and your efforts.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looking to do this mod as I live in Florida. Over the years it looks like several fans have been used, with shroud/ without shroud, 5.5's and 5.2's. It seems like the 5.2's may be the best for this application with efficiency and clearance. I have two questions.
1) Are you mounting the fans with the shroud contacting the fins or are you giving some clearance. (2) I try to make things look factory, are you using Honda connectors? Just trying to learn some of the details from the people who did the R and D first. Thanks for the help and your efforts.
Yes you leave a gap between the fan and the radiator fins. Last thing you need is bent rad fins.

I had to cut the connectors from my oem fans and use them on the spals. Apparently you can buy the spal fans with oem connectors. Unfortunately I never found this set up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok.. so i got my spal pusher fans in the mail today. They came with a inline FUSE.. is that needed?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
SPAL makes fans of several diameters that use the Sumitomo connectors used by Honda.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I eventually did get mine off ebay. My mechanic just resoldered the original connecters onto the spal fans. Let me tell you, these things work. in 95 degree heat.. in STOP and GO traffic in NEW YORK CITY.. the bike just cycles between 220, back to 210. Never gets above 220 any more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I eventually did get mine off ebay. My mechanic just resoldered the original connecters onto the spal fans. Let me tell you, these things work. in 95 degree heat.. in STOP and GO traffic in NEW YORK CITY.. the bike just cycles between 220, back to 210. Never gets above 220 any more.
Yep... Central valley in California... have the 5.5in spal fans off ebay, and although I don't ride in the extreme heat... I've been in 95+ weather and my bike never sees greater than 220-225, when stock a 95deg day would hit 236 or better, those temps made me worry a bit...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts