RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is with all the spam lately? Pretty much at least once a week there is this junk.

Is there anyway to block these guys permanently?

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a club website, with a message board, and have been suffering with this for over a month. A cabinet company in England has been spamming my site with ads for their cabinets and I have been unable to stop them. They create a new user name for each post and have a rotation IP address. Initially I simply banned the IP of each post, but they must be using some sort of a proxy server to give them, seemingly, unlimited IP addresses. I have banned over 30 addresses, but they continue to come up with totally different ones that make banning a range impossible. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cant stop the spam!!!

A better captcha at log in may help, not allowing new users to immediately link out may help, and stopforumspam.com for dynamic ip blocking. Outside of that, active mod's and smart board memebers spam is inevitable.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I am a mod/Admin on other sites and it is hard to stay ahead of all the spammers. We use One Touch to help when the spammers get through all the other walls.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
What the hell is with all the spam lately? Pretty much at least once a week there is this junk.

Is there anyway to block these guys permanently?
Many times we get a single spammer that posts 1 message and then lurks for a while (sort of a ninja spammer).
If you run across a suspected spammer, click the triangular icon under their name to report them.
Now today was a full gaggle of them, so I was easy to detect seek and destroy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just looked up One Touch and that is neat. Unfortunately, it does not fix the problem, just makes it easier to live with.

Banning the IP has been effective at reducing the number of threads/posts they make, but they rotate the IP and still manage to get through. I always thought that the number sequence was indicative of region, but their addresses have been totally random and I am unable to ban a range of addresses to stop them. Their addresses do not seem to follow any pattern.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You can build a better mouse trap...they will build a better mouse

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Many times we get a single spammer that posts 1 message and then lurks for a while (sort of a ninja spammer).
If you run across a suspected spammer, click the triangular icon under their name to report them.
Now today was a full gaggle of them, so I was easy to detect seek and destroy.
Can you obliterate them right of the face of the planet? That would make me happy. :D

You can build a better mouse trap...they will build a better mouse
Yeap, superspammers. Just like all the super germs we've inadvertantly created with the modern anti-biotics.
Hey, I like comparing spammers to germs. That's what they are. Germs. Parasites. Mooches.
:D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
If each new member requires moderator approval and has to write a short message of why they want to join this forum, it may go some way towards weeding out spammers and uncommitted lurkers?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Ah well - just have to let them spam, then remove the posts and their accounts.
In the end they'll realise it's not worth the hassle perhaps?

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
If each new member requires moderator approval and has to write a short message of why they want to join this forum, it may go some way towards weeding out spammers and uncommitted lurkers?
Actually thought about that as well...several sites require Admin approval before members are able to post. That can work for smaller sites, but this one is owned by a fairly large company that manages several. I've had to wait so long sometimes that I had forgotten I registered! I think it would turn into a logistical nightmare. These guys are like hemmoroids...they flareup now and then, go away for a while. You guys are doing a GREAT job letting us know you see one, appreciate it....:D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Those fawkers seem to be on EVERY message board out there...LOL

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I deal with spammers on a couple other sites, one of them (Goldwing Owners Forum) I'm a site admin on. We had a real issue with the spam bots a couple years ago, really screwed up the site for a week or more. I do use SFS allot on another site, but don't have an account for GWOF. I suggested to the VS guys that we install a security question on the main registration page to stop the bots and auto-registry stuff (other V-bulletin sites use it) and it does work, but it has to be reset every so often so a bit more work for the admins that activate the registrations. I personally have quite a bit of fun banning spammers elsewhere, although it used to be more fun when they were almost all 100% live a-holes. Could string them along for quite a while before you finally decided to end their misery and toast the jerks. When any of my team bans a spammer on GWOF I ban their IP and wild card it so it cans the whole mess of them from that region. Phillipines, Tailand, Russia, Pakistan, Vietnam... not hard to tell if they're for real enthusiasts/riders or just f-head spammers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
On my site, to create a new account (before you can post) you have to enter a "Capcha" to authenticate that you are a human. If you are successful, the system then sends you an e-mail link that you must authenticate before you can post. All this and we still get robot spam. Then we IP ban every spammer, and we still get more spam from the same source. One such spammer has already used 30+ IP addresses to get at us.

What else can we do?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts