RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys and girls...Kats and Kittens...He's and She's...
The slush fund is starting to get slushy again....what do I buy first ? Shorai battery or Speedo healer....since they both are about the same price I was going to flip a coin, but decided to ask this great group of folks...What say you ....?? :cool:
Thanks in advance...Kirk out

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not dead .....but after the review from SubSailor and a few other fine folks....I placed it on my list of "shit to get" ...then today I saw a post about a Speedo Healer and that got me to thinkin...

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
On this note, does anyone have a shot of the Shorai next to the stock battery?

Oh, and I would get the speedohealer first unless your speedo isn't off. Then it is kind of pointless. Mine was barely off with the stock setup, but quite a bit off after I went +1/-1 on the sprockets.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
This is a Shorai LFX18 next to a Yuasa FTZ12S.
The height and width is the same, but the Shorai is 20mm thinner.
Shorai supplies several sheets of adhesive-backed foam padding to accommodate various battery box dimensions.
Yuasa = 9.9 lbs, Shorai = 2.2 lbs.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

Oh, and I would get the speedohealer first unless your speedo isn't off. Then it is kind of pointless. Mine was barely off with the stock setup, but quite a bit off after I went +1/-1 on the sprockets.
Did you mean -1/+1? So you got 15/41 now? How do you like that gearing? Asking cause I know you're pretty familiar with your bike, assuming you've tried other gearing too?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if you went down 1 on the front, and up one in the rear....how is that different from the stock gearing ?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
So if you went down 1 on the front, and up one in the rear....how is that different from the stock gearing ?
The stock final ratio of 16T front/40T rear, which is pretty tall.
A 15T front/41T rear allows easier take offs with less slippage (actually, hardly any) and it puts the revs a bit higher and more into the meat of the power band.
Depending on your terrain some have used a 15T/42 or 43T rear.

Since my area doesn't have as many twisties, I find the 15/41 combo a very good compromise of bottom end power with top end cruising.
More mountainous regions may want to adjust accordingly.

Of course the speedo reading will be off and will need a Speedo-Healer to recalculate, and your mileage may decrease a bit.

However if you find no problem with the stock ratio, by all means keep it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Here is more info on the batteries, in addition to SubSailor’s post.
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35141#post35141

Quote from SubSailor;
Shorai supplies several sheets of adhesive-backed foam padding to accommodate various battery box dimensions.

Ps. Can someone pm me as how the quote someones reply.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Here is more info on the batteries, in addition to SubSailor’s post.
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=35141#post35141

Quote from SubSailor;

Ps. Can someone pm me as how the quote someones reply.
Press the "Quote" below the message and enter your text below the prior messages text.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery ordered !! Woot woot !! Thanks Sub ...!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The adjustment for my Speedohealer going to 15/41 and a 190/55 tire was -13.2% to get it matching a GPS. As for the gearing I like it waaayyy better. The bike is nicer to launch and still has enough legs for highway miles without revving too high. You realize you are adding on false mileage until you get it fixed. Could matter if you ever need or want to sell the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts