RC51 Forums banner

SPOILER SPOILER! Mugello

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  The Stig 
#1 ·
Was anyone else as disappointed as me when Rossi's bike gave up the ghost? I was on the edge of my seat, then, I sank to the floor.
It was a hell of a finish though for the other two aliens!
Is Iannone morphing into an alien too?

#4 ·
Crazy Joe kept violating the Prime Directive, which is...Don't take your team mate out!!
Riders come and riders go. It's the Constructors points that matter to a team/company. A rider is just a means to an end.
And Crazy Joe was pissing in Ducati's Wheaties too many times by taking them both out.

#3 ·
He did a good job of it too. Dovi was pretty fierce at defending his position, but I think Iannone had a bit more fire in the belly. Especially after that crappy start off the grid. To be fair, he said he had clutch problems.

Lorenzo is one cool customer, isn't he? His riding was nothing less than rock solid. He really knows how to keep a cool head, let things happen, and just hold his line. Barring anymore engine failures or injury, looks like he has this championship in the bag already.

And Vinales to ride with Yamaha next year.
Another alien in training.

#7 ·
SubSailor has a very good point. I hadn't thought of that. I just know Iannone was on a fecking mission to finish a race and get a podium.
What were the announcers talking about when they commented about Iannone showing Ducati about choosing Dovi over him?

I think I would like Dovi more, but I've heard him dis the tracks and the US in general. Well, that was a couple years ago anyway...

#9 ·
It was tragic for Rossi's engine to have given up the ghost like that. Looked like a holed piston with that much smoke, but we'll never know for sure.

It's put Rossi 40 points behind when he could otherwise have equalled Marquez as a championship leader, it was looking as if he was quicker... With the harder front tire Rossi might eventually have had the advantage to have overtaken Lorenzo in the later part of the race, it looked as if Rossi was beginnind to just sit behind him to catch him in the end... then the engine blew.

For a 36 year old, Rossi is on amazing form this year, he's shown he can equal and beat Lorenzo but my jaw dropped too when his engine failed so dramatically.
That Lorenzo had suffered an engine failure in practice, it's a shame they didn't change Rossi's as a precaution, but hindsight is 20/20.

Rossi has an advantage of prior experience with Michelin tires, which others haven't all got and he seems to have taken to this years changes more readily than other riders, plus Honda has traction issues that Marquez finds harder to get to grips with; his riding isn't as wild or radically different to other riders as it was in his first 2 years, all riders have been adapting & developing their skills too.
I'm sure Rossi will continue to fight to the very end and if he can't win this season, it may be easier next year with Lorenzo on an unfamiliar Ducati.

I like Iannone; he has a strong racing spirit. He's had some bad luck this year and could have won the race had he had no clutch problems. BUT these things are all IFS....
He has had his chance and hasn't shown himself to be a champion.

He's consistent, but I reckon Ducati will replace Dovi with a better rider given the chance... there's a lot of new tallent coming up the ranks.

The aliens are coming...:eek: :grin2:

#10 ·
It's funny that even when JL or MM are first on the podium there's so much booing from the crowds, source of sound recordings are something the program producers have to consider when televising Moto GP, but they can only hide so much. When it's Rossi who has won, they don't have to do that, instead capitalising on the support from the grandstands.

I guess people haven't forgotten the sh*t storm at the end of the last season and many, like me are still in disapproval. MM & JL brought it upon themselves. A high price to pay as potential champions in their own right. Shame it went down like that, but it makes Rossi all the stronger in his fight. It's not over yet... We're only 1/3rd of the way through the season. MM could easily have a DNF and Lorenzo isn't immune either, but gotta admit he is fast and consistent when under pressure and keeps his cool. I just don't like his character from what we've seen. Respect is a lot harder to gain after it's lost with last year's shenanigans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.