RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always run the "sport" version of any given manufacturers line-up, lately the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's, which absolutely love. I guess I've chosen the sport tires for the confidence factor, and even though I ride pretty aggressively on the street and do an occasional track day, I'm probably not using the tires to their limit. Changing them every 4-5k gets expensive too.

A friend of mine has been running the Michelin Roadsmarts, a sport touring tire on his bike and swears by them.

What do you think? Anyone here using a sport touring tire?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
like you said, i think you'll be fine. i've heard good things about them. If its being for road use, i would think that it makes more sense.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Do you mean Dunlop RoadSmarts?

I've been running Michelin Pilot Road 2CT on my FZ1 and they last a very long time.
I got 13K miles on the last front and was averaging 9K+ miles on the rear.

I'm not saying they are in the same performance class as the Dunlop Q2, but for a mileage tire, they are worth the money.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I have used "Sport Touring" on my old 600.....no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Couple of years ago I couldn't afford a set of super sport tires, so I found a cheap pair of Bridgestone BT021 which where quite good actually on the RC. I didn't try them in the track but in fast riding they where enough for me. Of course they never gave me the stability in cornering that the BT016 Pro give me but their price was fair enough for what they offered me. They lasted almost a year and a half with lots of thread on them when I took them off due to the fact that they lost their flexibility and became quite "woody" on the surface.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bridgestone BT-020 or BT-016 and if you want a lot of miles BT-023

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm in the same situation and thinking along the the same lines after talking to the local bike guys they are all talking up the pilot road 3 for good milage and grip as well that maybe where i end up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had single compound sport touring tires on my last bike. I currently have Pilot Powers on my RC. One difference I noticed is with the sport touring tires I really had to be careful when they were cold and in the rain. They unexpectedly slipped on me a few times and took some time to warm up. They are a harder compound but they do get longer life, I just didnt have the same confidence with them for spirited road riding. I do understand where you are coming from though. The dual compound technology seems like a good solution now.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Bridgestone BT-020 or BT-016 and if you want a lot of miles BT-023
Got 7kmiles on 23's,still some left on them too, side compound was awesome too, not sure about the track but I think they would be fine for the non too aggressive rider on a track.... Right now I'm using the 16 hyper sports and they were incredible in Laguna Seca this past weekend. I gave them "my" all after a couple of warm up laps and never noticed any lost of grip coming out of the turns

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
161 Posts
Roadsmarts are so good, you won't worry about grip issues.
Started out riding my RC on Avon Storms, because I was used to them on the VFR.
Once familiarized with the RC, I switched to BT-016's. Got 1.8K out of those.
Never got more than 4K out of set of Storms on the VFR.
But that was much better than 1.5K for Dunlop 208's, or any other sport rubber I tried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts