RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got my first RC51! I love it! its an 02 and one of the cleanest ones i have ever seen. I know most people wont like this post but i am a huge fan of wheelies! i think the bike has the stock gearing and its just to high for me. what sprocket change does everyone recomend? i was thinking of putting 3 teeth bigger in the rear. top speed after change? will i be able to tell a bit difference?

·
Registered
92 Posts
A cheap and easy change is to try -1 (15 tooth) in the front. This is a cheap way to see if you like the lower gearing. I personally like the stock gearing. And you are right, I doubt most people on this forum will look kindly on someone who wants to wheelie a RC a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ya wheelies are a touchy subject round these parts! I have -1 front +2 rear and on power the front wants to float. -1 on the front is equal to +3 rear

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Wheelies can damage your triple's bearings, front suspension's tubes and inside parts like the bushings, front wheel's bearings and drive chain and sprockets too.
However it's your bike and you decide what to do with her.

If you renew parts frequently then I guess you won't have serious issues (apart from the wheelie's risks).

I rode mine with a -1 front (15) and +2 rear (42) sprockets and she was wheeling without too much effort. But top speed sucked.....I had 268km/h indicated on the gauges and my real speed was 241

I think it is a good combination for a starters and you can take it from there.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. i know the wheelie thing is a touchy subject but i just had to ask anyway. what about the odometer change. iver heard that the milage will show more than actually on the bike with some sprocket changes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes you will need a speedo healer if you want acurate readings on your display when you change the gearing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went -1/+3 on my 01. Added a speedo healer and calibrated it via the web site method and according to the local drag strip my speedo is pretty freaking accurate. Is it a huge ungodly wheelie monster? Nope. It will float the front end no problem, but if I wanna show off I still have to put a lill english on it to bring it up. IMO made 6th gear a little more drivers license friendly (speeding laws in BC suck). +2 prob would have been a little better economy wise, but who really cares about mileage when on two wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts