RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell the difference between a 520 and 530 rear sprocket? I bought a wheel with a 42-tooth rear sprocket on it, if its a 530 would it be safe to use with my existing chain or could it damage it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Chains and sprockets are measured in increments of 1/8".
A 530 chain is 5x1/8" (5/8") for pin centers and 3x1/8 (3/8") roller width.
So a 520 will be 5/8" pin center but only 2/8" (aka 1/4") roller width.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I honestly didn't know what the specific differences were between the various chain series, only that the 520 chain was "smaller" in width and, consequently, lighter in weight than either the 530 (stock) and the 525. Thanks again, Sub. IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK ON THIS FORUM!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if the sprocket is a 530, don't bother using it with my existing chain because they haven't been run together?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
This one I can answer without hesitation. Keep like parts together and don't interchange. 530 with 530, 520 with 520, etc. I wouldn't be a waste of money to switch to a 520 set up. Lighter parts equal less rotating mass equals more available power to the rear wheel, which is why it's a must do if you want to track your bike...

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Predominately, it's the chain that wears out the sprockets.
When the rollers bushings wear, the relative pin to pin distance increases.
This puts increased stress on the upper faces of the teeth causing them to wear with the characteristic hook pattern.
The key is to periodically clean the chain then lube and adjust it.
Cleaning keeps the O or X-rings from wearing which would allow grit in to grind away at the roller bushings.

If your chain and sprockets are in great shape, then you could probably get away with mixing used chain and sprockets together for the short term.
But if your chain is worn, it will trash the chain quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts