RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best set up for track used...16/43 or 15/42...currently i'm running 16/42.... & my fren running 15/41(Rc51 rider also) We just tested at the track..Upon exit out the corner..both of us gas hard...seem dat he just passed me on the straight..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think generally -1 on the front is the same as +2 on the back. Also by going down on the front you wont have any problems with the chain being too short.

That is the limit of my knowledge though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ratio

Actually, about every one tooth you go down in the front = 3 on the back. Your friend is pulling you because he has gone the equivalent of 5 teeth in the back and you have gone up 3.

Your ratio of 16/43 = 2.6875:1
Your bud"s is 15/42 = 2.8

Generally, the higher the ratio, the "quicker" the acceleration.

From what I understand, do not go below 15 on the front and no higher than 42-43 on the rear unless you like wheelies and violent engine breaking.:eek:

Gurus, chime in at anytime....

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the track, you are supposed to gear for the front straight, aiming for max revs in the highest gear attainable (some straights aren't very long).

As for the RC, I just went to 15/43 and it works very well. Take-offs are very easy, but I still have to do some clutch slippage to maneuver around in parking lots. Acceleration is excellent. Engine braking is increased, but I use it to my advantage to set the bike for corners. RPMs on the highway at around 72-75 MPH is 4500, which is right in the sweet spot for the engine. And, the stock-length chain will accomodate the 15/43.

That being said, the most popular combination is 15/42. I went a little higher as my goal was to have the top end of 1st gear be 60 MPH.

Eric

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks bros,...at least i know where to start....i will set 15/42 1st..the track used by Motogp back in 1998 in Malaysia...& the other one is Sepang..dats the nearsest track to Singapore..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts