RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a new chain and sprockets. The chain is a DID520*ZVMX*120. The front sprocket is a vortex and rear is a supersprox. Are these sprockets and chain good quality?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
D.I.D. Is a good brand of chains, not sure about that specific one though, as I have a ERV3. I think the one you have is their new "street" version of the erv.

Vortex is absolute garbage, although the steel front shouldn't give you problems. It is their aluminum rears that I would never use.

In my opinion, supersprox is just overpriced for what they are. Some say they don't even save weight over a standard steel sprocket. Kind of defeats the purpose of the hybrid sprocket when you can buy quality steel sprockets for 2/3 the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like my supersprox. I'll agree it isn't as light as the pure aluminum sprockets, but its definitely made better than any steel sprocket I've seen. Not to mention it adds some style. Particularly, on the RC, I like the gold accent. Finally, they have a lifetime guarantee http://www.supersproxusa.com/our_guarantee.php

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase
D.I.D. Is a good brand of chains, not sure about that specific one though, as I have a ERV3. I think the one you have is their new "street" version of the erv.

Vortex is absolute garbage, although the steel front shouldn't give you problems. It is their aluminum rears that I would never use.

In my opinion, supersprox is just overpriced for what they are. Some say they don't even save weight over a standard steel sprocket. Kind of defeats the purpose of the hybrid sprocket when you can buy quality steel sprockets for 2/3 the price.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
The lifetime guarantee requires that you purchase both sprockets and the chain from them before you get it. Then you have to ship the whole setup back when the sprocket wears out, and they will decide if the chain was maintained properly. Then you have to buy a new chain and front sprocket to get the rear for free. They will also only replace the sprocket once.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The lifetime guarantee requires that you purchase both sprockets and the chain from them before you get it. Then you have to ship the whole setup back when the sprocket wears out, and they will decide if the chain was maintained properly. Then you have to buy a new chain and front sprocket to get the rear for free. They will also only replace the sprocket once.
As with any warranty, there are rules. These require some action, but its not unreasonable. If you're not cleaning and lubing your chain then you're doing it wrong. This really isn't a downside to the product.

Furthermore he really asked if its good quality. It absolutely is, and the company stands behind the product.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys I hope my setup gives me plenty of miles before I have to replace them. Got the 520 kit from hard racing odd I gotta pay $20 extra for a 40t cuz they are special order. :(

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
As with any warranty, there are rules. These require some action, but its not unreasonable. If you're not cleaning and lubing your chain then you're doing it wrong. This really isn't a downside to the product.

Furthermore he really asked if its good quality. It absolutely is, and the company stands behind the product.
My point is that a "lifetime guarantee" with stipulations like that is obviously just a marketing ploy and nothing else. If they really stood behind their products, they wouldn't have those requirements. Instead of a lifetime guarantee, they should just call it a "one time replacement" plan if you buy the whole package.

Lifetime guarantees on wear items like brake pads, sprockets or spark plugs are worthless unless they are free replacements forever and no questions asked. Even then, it's still kinda pointless sometimes. I purchased a power steering pump for my truck from the autoparts store with a lifetime warranty, and they will replace it as many times as I'd like. The problem is that they replace the seals with crappy seals and the pumps last about 6 months. Yeah, I can get a new one every time, but changing them out gets old pretty quick.

Sorry, but a lifetime warranty on something like a sprocket doesn't really mean jack unless it is no questions asked, which would be stupid of the manufacturer to do.

Along with the physical quality of the part, the quality that you are getting for your dollar must be considered. Sorry, but a $90 sprocket with no benifits (other than looks) over a cheaper steel one can't truly justify it's existence unless you are going for form over function.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
thanks guys I hope my setup gives me plenty of miles before I have to replace them. Got the 520 kit from hard racing odd I gotta pay $20 extra for a 40t cuz they are special order. :(
Why not just get the 41 tooth? That is odd considering the 40 tooth is what the bike comes with stock.

I'm sure it will work out just fine and as long as it is adjusted correctly and cleaned/lubed you will have no issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't aware that the stock speedo was that far off. I'm just a little upset about the the price on the rear sprocket when it clearly states they have a 40t supersprox and for set amount of $ and then they say in a email We have received your order. Unfortunately Supersprox does not stock a 40 tooth sprocket for your bike. They will build one. It takes 7-10 days for them to build and it is $20 extra to do it, which is what they charge us. So the kit would be $254 instead of $234. Oh well its ordered and should be here in a few weeks.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
What a racquet! :mad: Seriously, there's nothing reasonable about what you just described. I had a very similiar experience with Goodyear and one of their tires. The long and short of it is this: the manufacturer will blame YOU. It's a total waste of time.
I wanted to keep the stock gearing. Didnt wanna mess with adjusting the speedo.
So many people have done a gear change, and it's incredibly easy to deal with correcting the speedo. Either memorize the actual difference or buy a speedohealer and your done. Or you can use a navi to track your speed too.
The advantages of gear changes far outweighs the speedo error. imo

Just my opinion, but when you get charged $20 for a part that is stock replacement, well, something's fishy. I don't believe them, cause so many other suppliers would not charge extra. Try our vendors here, like RidersDiscount or STG. I bought my chain and sprocket set from LDH just yesterday, so that's another option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yea they charged me shipping was around $16 and some change. total was like 340 for some k&n air filters a shirt and front and rear sprockets and chain.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but the general consensus is that K&N filters are not good for our RC51's. They've been dyno'ed and just do not help, sometimes they take away performance. Stick with the OEM filters for the best performance.
One of our members, LDH, has an article about "Aftermarket high flow air filters". Check it out...

http://www.rc51.org/
If you land on the home page, click 'Mods' on the left. Then bookmark it, it's a great reference site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know k&n filters arnt that great but for 65 its a good deal when 2 oem filters are about the same price and not reuseable. but on to the sprocket saga supersproxs dont make a 40t for the rc51. I called them and said they dont and wont make it so I got a 41t.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I know k&n filters arnt that great but for 65 its a good deal when 2 oem filters are about the same price and not reuseable. but on to the sprocket saga supersproxs dont make a 40t for the rc51. I called them and said they dont and wont make it so I got a 41t.
So on top of the $65 now you have to spend more money on the cleaning kit and spend your time washing, drying & oiling the filters when you could just drop in an OEM filter set and be off riding in 5 minutes. All for less performance... You sir are a genius :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
go bash on somebody else ldh. I dont tell I what to put on your bike. Its my bike and my money I can do as I please thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You are completely correct sir!

Most of us do try to help others to get the most out of their modifications. I've compiled page after page of mods for what works and what doesn't to help other RC owners along, but in truth we all love to see guys use inferior products on their bike. Anything that hinders the performance of your bike by adding unneeded weight especially rotating mass or items that affect the power delivery makes our bikes that much better in comparison and everybody loves having an advantage in an ego driven sport such as this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well thats u not me. its not all about hp or dyno readings. if i wanted a hp monster i would have gotten something different. i wanted a nice sunday bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts