RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my sp2 will stall randomly at a light. no problem starting right back up. only does it whem bike is in 160-170 degree range. bike throws no codes, has a new fuel pressure regulator. any ideas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea my idle is.fine. im stumped by it. it did it for a it and then stopped. now a while later it does.it again. there is no consistancy to it either. gonna reflash my map as soon as i can find my cable. i hate this intermitten stuff. i checking my battery voltage and connections when get home also.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
As a test, you could disconnect your power commander and reconnect the OEM harness as a test.
May not run perfect, but at least it would be more troubleshooting information.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
last night i checked every connection on the bike and they were all clean except for 1. one of the connectors for the power commander (red connector) was very dirty on the outside but clean on the connection points. i put dielectric grease in every connector and changed back to my k&n filters. (i know they suck but ran fine before i changed em so trying to eliminate them) my rear plug looked a little dark but not to bad as the electrodes were greyish. the front plug is coming out tonight. is it possible that the pair or flapper mod could be causing this? there is no vacuum leaks that i can find and the line off the front of the throttle body is capped off too. it was also reset the idle settings in my power commander since the bike seems to just forget to idle. it dies and throws no fi light when it does. it just turns off. i turn kill switch off and back on and it fires right back up

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Look through the power commander documentation.
I believe there's step to set your throttle position sensor range in the power commander.
I've never used it, but I believe I ran across it when reading the docs one time.
Again, you could try to eliminate the power commander and check if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
SubSailor is right forsaken, unhook that PC if you haven't already. See how it runs with no PC. If problem still happens, you can eliminate the PC as the source, (at least for now) and focus on eliminating the other possibilities one by one, till you find the problem.

Not meaning to question your ability, just want to help. On a longshot, I had an issue similiar to your's but not on a bike. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch that was intermittantly loosing power.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
switch is fine, i never even have to touch it. the pc is such a pain to get to all the connections on im trying to not have to mess with it more if i can help it. i should have done it last night when i had it apart but hindsight is 20-20 right? the problem is so intermittent that if i unhook it i might think it is solved only to get hit with it again in a month like i just did.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no issues at all today. bike ran perfect. took and got a pilot road 3 mounted on the rear of the bike also. i killed my q2 in less than 2500 miles. started showing cords on the left edge after rideing to work

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Not gonna turn this into a tire thing, but I've run Q2's on 3 different bikes now. A 1700 vtwin cruiser, the RC and a vfr. I swear by them for max grip and feedback on the streets, but I've never gotten more than about 3000 miles out of them.

About the stalling, I know it's a pain to get to that ecm/pc connector plug. But I just feel that in the logic of starting with the simplest things first...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree with you that the q2's are great tires, but for the next few months im going to be running almost a 100 miles a day mostly slab riding. if it knocks off on me again ill pull the power commander, however since it is back together ill just ride it till then

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yea, Q2's will square off pretty fast under those conditions. Good luck, I know you've spent a ton of time thinking and thinking about what it could be. You have the service manual?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Yeah hypersport tires aren't meant for mileage.
That's why I put Pilot Road 2s on my FZ1.
Front's almost due for changing at 13K miles, and the rear is going strong at 5K miles.
Got 8K miles out of last PR2 rear. Could've gotten more if I'd babied it.
Let us know how you like the PR3s. They haven't hit the shelves in my area.
However I've heard they are expensive buggers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not a single issue since doing the connections. hopefully in a few months i wont be back saying its doing it again. The road 3 rear is wonderfull. id say it sticks almost as well as my q2 in hard turns. i say almost because i havent had a single slip outta it yet, but havent pushed it as hard as the q2 yet. i have put about 400 slab miles on it and it it still perfectly round. wet traction is amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check that your clutch is bled right. Or turn up your setting on the clutch lever. Happened to me at first on my 04 until I got new levers and re-bleld all lines. Never once had a problem since.
I was switching from a cable clutch on my old bike to the hydro, I thought it was just me not used to pull action. And this is how I came across this idea to fix it, and it worked for me...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bike has had zero issues since beginning of april. i have put almost 1500 miles on the road 3 and love it. there still is no squaring off on the rear and those are all highway miles! tire grips great too. the only thing i have noticed is it has a little bit slower hear up time than the q2's did. within half a mile though it is good to go on a 50 degree morning. the wet traction is insaine!

now im looking for a rear seat and pegs. i have had at least 5 freshman girls at the college i work beside asking daily to go for a ride......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts