RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turn the key on, the dash light will light up..if i engage the start button the bike dies and dash lights go off, i can wait a while and they'll come back on but it dosent want to turn over or Lee me press the kill switch down...ignition relay?

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
battery is dead, charge or replace

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is new. When i go to start you can hear a pop like the ignition or starter solenoid is going out

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Symptoms are similar to an old battery that doesn't have sufficient current capacity anymore. Just like what happened with my VFR800.
Or there's a bad/corroded connection that doesn't allow sufficient current flow.

In other words, the battery doesn't have the capacity to provide starting current while maintaining 12V for the electrical/electronic components.

On my VFR800, if I measure across the battery posts, I got 13V. But when I pressed the starter button, it dropped to less than 4V.
I replaced the battery, and everything works fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New battery and i keep it on a stand so the kick stand dosent drain the battery...have you had any solenoid problems

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Who cares at this point. Try the easiest logical choices first, unless you want to start with much more work like checking all the fuses and associated wiring, swapping/buying relays, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
So why the loud pop when trying to start
If you hear that loud of a pronounced "pop" from a relay, you may be on to the issue.

As per @jondog9

"Relays can fail intermittently, at least for a while, before they're toast.
You can use your highbeam relay socket to test the fuel relay and also the bank angle relay. If your bank angle relay is giving out, then the fuel relay wont get power."

Another words, some of these relays are the exact same and can be swapped to help you troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Disconnect the battery cables, then check the starter relay contacts.
It's just forward of the rectifier/regulator.
It's been known for the contacts to corrode, causing a resistive element in the electrical path, leading to melting of the contacts in the relay and wires.
The starter relay is also where the main 30A fuse is located.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's likely a poor connection on the main power leads, use a jump lead from the negative terminal on the battery to a good ground on the motor, if the problem persists it is on the positive side of the circuit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts