RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
Ive got a problem. I went to start my bike and when I pressed the starter button, nothing happened. I have checked the fuse and it isnt blown. Also, I checked the engine kill switch and it is working as advertised. What else could it be?? If someone could shed some light on this, it would help me tremendously and save me some money. Thanks!!

:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,499 Posts
Does the starter relay click?
If so, and you've ruled out most electrical problems, it could be a starter clutch or starter brushes.
You can disconnect the battery and the starter cables and measure across the starter posts. You should get continuity. If you get an open, the it's the brushes.
If you have some jumper cables, you can also disconnect the battery cables and starter motor cables, then jump across the starter motor carefully. It should tell if the motor and starter clutch is working.

A similar thing happened to me on my truck. Was running fine until I stopped at the drug store. When I went to start it, no fuel pump. Worn out brushes.
Had to replace them on the truck starter motor as well.

·
Premium Member
6,499 Posts
Check if your starter relay connections are tight.
A similar problem was posted on another forum (unless that is you).
While his starter relay would click, it didn't have a good enough contact for current flow.
But it did fry his starter relay big time!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys!
Here is more info so we can narrow it down. The fuel primer comes on as its supposed to when I flip the key on with the engine kill switch in the start position. When I press the start button I get nothing, not even a click. Its as though Im not even pressing the button. I rode the bike a few days ago. The only thing that changed was that I put a battery tender on the battery while in was in the garage and it did charge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have spent all day trying to figure this problem out. I have checked the continuity on the starter relay. Ive checked the ignition and the starter fuses. The only thing I can come up with is that it may be the actual starter switch. Once again, the ignition comes on. I press the button for the starter and nothing happens. No click from the relay, nothing. I hope someone out there knows how to fix this, b/c if not its going to cost a few bucks. Can someone pull me out of the fire. Ive gotten some good stuff that has helped in troubleshooting, but Im at a loss at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,499 Posts
It's not unheard of having problems with these switches.
They're exposed to weather and the contacts can corrode.
I have a turn signal switch that's been giving me problems probably for the same reason.
Check the switch out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i did a search and found this thread! search actually helped me find something useful!!!

my pump wasn't priming. service manual and forum searches direct me to look at relays and switches. after jiggling relays, specifically the fuel cut off relay, the pump primed everytime i turned the key or hit the kill switch. seems to have been a loose connection.

thanks guys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts