RC51 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious, does anyone have a favorite brand of steel sprocket they use?
I currently have a aluminum rear on my RC installed by the prior owner. I HATE IT! It seems I have to lube the chain EVERY time I go out, no matter what type of lube I use. It seems to strip the chain of lube quickly.

My only experience is with my '81 CBX, I changed sprockets and chain when I bought it, I installed a DID "X" ring chain and Sunstar steel sprockets at 27K miles, the bike now has 60K miles and is still using the same chain/sprocket combo. I only adjust the chain every 5-6K miles when I change tires, the chain stays lubed for at least 500 miles. Now the CBX weighs about 700lbs without rider, and has a pretty torquey 6 cylinder engine.

I have a new "X" ring chain for the RC from the prior owner, I just need sprockets. I need 2 teeth more for the rear, and 1 less for the front. Any recommendations?

John

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sound advice to be sure, if I were only so disciplined...............
Usually, the bike comes in coated with dust from my gravel road, encrusted with bugs,with tar stuck on it. I usually take it in for a wash, then lube it. i just notice with an aluminum rear sprocket, chain lube doesn't stay put for long. I guess I'll just order sunstar sprockets and be done with it.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts