RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow RC riders. I have a chance at a scotts steering damper off an 01 rc51. I ride an 04. I have heard it will and wont work....whats the scooby on this peoples?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
IIRC they are different (mounting). Parts can be purchased individually for them so one can convert SP1 to SP2 or vice versa, but with used prices for complete units, it's usually cheaper to just buy the correct application outright.

I actually wrote off an RC51 because of headshake without a damper. My current RC51 now has one.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
if you set up your bike to turn well, you will benefit from a damper. if you leave your geometry the way it is, the bike is super stable.

the sp1 and sp2 scotts dampers use different mounting kits due to the size of the steering stem nut.

the mounting kits are actually quite expensive, so buying the wrong one is a bad plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, yall have been a huge help and are an asset to this virgin RC rider. As a Retired WERA rider it almost makes me subconsciously need one. As I understand it, these RC51's have crap suspension and are highside happy. I have had a few of those and HATE THEM!!! so anything to help i will happily invest in. I Havent put it through the paces yet to measure it but will do so soon. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
any rc51 you buy now that has stock suspension on it has suspension that's at LEAST 14 years old. and given how terribly people tend to maintain their suspension chances are it's totally clapped out.

i wouldn't describe the 51 as highside happy at all. twins make gobs of rear tire traction, have linear power delivery, and generally not a ton of horsepower. they are the opposite of high side happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My (WERA) track experience was that the RC51 was lowside happy. My crashes resulted from either tucking the front trail braking or just a hair too much power on corner exit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I wouldn’t consider the rc a high-sider either. I find it very stable and doesn’t make enough power to light up the tire uncontrollably. It’s similar to my old 996 and 999 even, the big heavy crank used on v-twin 1000 engines makes it want to stay moving in a straight line-a lot of inertia.
Anyway if a steering damper is needed then definitely get one, everyone rides different and every bike is unique to a degree.
Stay safe

·
Super Moderator
6,483 Posts
A steering damper is often used if the rear is raised (or less often, forks raised in yokes) to decrease trail to quicken the steering, either by replacing the lower link or washers in the upper shock mount.
If trail is decreased too much, then increased stability occurs, which could cause a head shake in certain circumstances.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A steering damper is often used if the rear is raised (or less often, forks raised in yokes) to decrease trail to quicken the steering, either by replacing the lower link or washers in the upper shock mount.
If trail is decreased too much, then increased stability occurs, which could cause a head shake in certain circumstances.
That’s a good point, when you steepen that steering head angle it def can get a bit squirrelly lol. I guess I’ve never had a quality steering damper that worked well, and come from a fellow racers saying that they were a bandaid. I’d rather a small bandaid instead of a huge cast I’d quip but peer pressure always won

1 - 10 of 10 Posts