RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I bought a replacement steering stem because I broke a tab.

Mine has Thrust roller bearings and the new one has regular ball bearings, Can i just swap these these? They do fit the stem.

Also, the one I bought looks like it is angled different to mine, bent perhaps?

Don't know why the system rotated the pictures...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
She does look bent....ouch. I'd try and get some money back and quick.:(

Try to stay with the tapered needle bearing too, when you get a non bent stem it should fit.

Also, I have see where folks machine off the broken bits of the stops and drill and pin in a replacement stop. Any good machine shop should be able to make you one and install.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hey I was the seller. We are talking about this off forum.

Ross,
Sorry about this, I wouldn't knowingly sell bad parts. Please check it out like we talked about and get back with me.

If it's the stem, I remember reading about a member that can press out and reinstall stems to the lower clamp, just not said members name:what: If your other stem is good, maybe he can help us out.

The tapered roller bearings are better than the OEM ball type. They should interchange without problem.

James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hey I was the seller. We are talking about this off forum.

Ross,
Sorry about this, I wouldn't knowingly sell bad parts. Please check it out like we talked about and get back with me.

If it's the stem, I remember reading about a member that can press out and reinstall stems to the lower clamp, just not said members name:what: If your other stem is good, maybe he can help us out.

The tapered roller bearings are better than the OEM ball type. They should interchange without problem.

No offense meant to you, James. I know you wouldn't knowingly sell it had you known it to be bent. For all I know, it happened in transit:confused:

Lord knows you take the disfigured and broken and make them good as new:cool:

The man asked a question and I opined.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
No offense meant to you, James. I know you wouldn't knowingly sell it had you known it to be bent. For all I know, it happened in transit:confused:

Lord knows you take the disfigured and broken and make them good as new:cool:

The man asked a question and I opined.
None taken, I was just manning up to the sale and letting other members know we are communicating about it.
I was told it was good when I got it. If it happened in transport I'm sure I would of heard about it sooner than two months later.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys I didn't want to name drop as I dint know if it was made like this and I didn't know or bent. When I got it, it looked fine, no damage to the shipping box and it was packed very well but I had nothing to compare it to and I've no doubt neither did he. Just pulled mine off this morning and saw it which is why it took 2 months as I was waiting on forks. Decided to pop it on here to get a second opinion in case I was being paranoid. Appreciate the ways to fix this.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Well, it definitely looks bent from the picture's point of view.
I wouldn't worry that much of it though.
Like sbkdrew said, swap the stems.
It's like half an hour's work

After a while, with the triple too hot enough, all it takes is a couple of hits with a mallet and out the pivot goes...

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Thanks Makis, read this earlier today, good post, I don't have the heat gun or a press to do the job. Press I could probably do without but the gun thats kinda essential lol. Will have a ponder on it.

Press is very important.

You apply some initial force on the stem, while heating the lower triple. You don't heat the stem at all.
While heating, you start applying more and more pressure on the stem.
Very important is to make sure that the press's force is delivered vertically 100% otherwise it can escape under the pressing force and hurt yourself and/or damaging the triple.

After increasingly applying force, comes a point that you see it is very very hard to put more force to the stem. The press's hydraulic lever is almost impossible to pull with one hand. Basically that happens with a small press like the one I used. If you have a 20T press for a example, you probably won't need the mallet at all.

That's the point where you start hitting the triple around the stem's base and keep heating it with the heat gun.
If you notice, I've placed a steering bearing's race under the stem's base for it to keep the triple away from the laying surface and the stem can go through it when it pops out.

You NEVER hit the stem with anything otherwise you'll probably damage it. You only hit the triple so the two parts can separate.

When you are about to press the stem into the other triple, you don't need a hammer or a mallet at all.
Just put the stem in the deep freeze for a couple of hours, heat the triple very good with the heat gun around the stem's hole and press the stem in it with one as quick as possible motion you can.

You can go to a lathe shop to do it for you. It's not big of a deal and I don't think they'll charge you much for it.

And while you're at it, give them the lower bearing and seal to press them on the new made triple as well. Way better than hitting it with a hammer too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Consider me educated, thanks Makis for that, I'll remove the heat gun and mallet I just put into the shopping cart at Lowes :/

Looks like I'll be looking for a machine shop nearby. Unless someone on here wants to PM me the cost of getting this done?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to update incase anyone goes searching. Went with having the stems swapped locally.

Thanks SKBDrew for the offer of helping to get it done its much appreciated.

Makis, your advice on how to do this was passed to the machinist who was pleased to know he could use heat if he needed to. His press went up to some crazy tonnage lol 20T was in the beginning somewhere...

James. Thank you sir helping to resolve this, you're a true gent and I very much appreciate the effort you went to to get me back on the road. Forks are back on just waiting for some free time to get the rest of the front end back together!

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
We use heat so that we don't hurt the lower triple hole's inner wall surface while extracting the stem. Not because we don't have a 20T press.
Glad to see it work ok for you.

Next step with more pictures please. Keep up the great work Rossco!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Rossco,
Hey buddy, I'm glad to hear that things are going back together.

I will tell you one thing, I've learned to look over everything very closely before posting, to bad it was the hard way:rolleyes:

Also, I have to say thank you, to you as well.
Thank you, for not going "ape shit" over this. Hostility never resolves anything.

James

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Agreed James, I tend to keep my cool and solve the problem without upsetting someone that possibly didn't realize the issue, so throwing accusations would have made you less likely to want to resolve it, plus it had been 2 months. Besides, i didn't notice it till I took mine out so my first thought was you probably didn't either. I'm just grateful you helped out so thanks.

Ah good to know About the heat Makis, I'm sure he did or at least I hope he did lol. Anyway as requested some pics. New iphone app for this forum doesn't let you upload pics any more....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts