RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the steering head bearing ODs for both the SP-1 and SP-1 (I've read SP-2 are same top and bottom and SP-1 are not)?

The stem diameters (IDs)?

Bearing thicknesses?

I'll also take part numbers so I can look them up if that's what you know.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one here knows this?

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
SP2 uses the SP1's bottom twice......the SP1's top is a bit smaller.

If no one can answer your question, and if this is not time sensitive, I can search around my storage tomorrow and see if I can find some, I had to experiment with, back when I was fitting my Ohlins forks in 2013.....

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and it's not time sensitive. I need to do some bearing shopping but need to know the OD and IDs (SP-1) to do it. They're not the usual bearings, hence why I need sizes.

I'm at your mercy and thanks for helping.

Merry Christmas... *< :)

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea Waldo, thanks. This answers the mail.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Careful with AllBalls bearings. I bought a set of front wheelbearings and one of them failed within the first couple hundred miles. The seal came loose and the grease spun out, drying it up pretty fast. I replaced with OEM.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up but I won't be using them. Have something else in mind and they don't carry it.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A friend of mine, Scott Brooks, who used to run the H-D VR1000 super bike team back in the day patented a modified steering stem design to improve feedback and Miguel Duhamel who was riding for them at the time thought it worked REALLY well. So I asked my friend if he would share it with me to try on my new RC51 now that I have a bike with forks (I've been a Beemer boxer guy and it won't work on a funny front end - a telelever). He's shared some of his stuff with me so I can see it I can do it. I think I"m going to have to machine the frame steering head to make it work but I'm trying to find alternate bearings in the hope I won't have to that (unlikely). His design is more like the SP-1 than the SP-2. Hope this answers your question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts