RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and girls I was just wondering if I could run or fit the stock chain with after-market 15-42 530 sprockets. New bike New Chain 1600 easy miles. Trying to get a little life out of the stock chain and save a little money. Thanks Gaylen

·
Registered
863 Posts
Stock is a 530 and no it won't work. If I remember correctly it brings the rear tire in to close to the swingarm. If you left it 16/42 you would be fine. To use the stock chain you'll want to probably take out a link or 2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does not make sence because if you ran a 16/42 it would bring the tire closer to the swing-arm then if you ran a 15/42. The 15 front would give you more room then a 16. So here is a Easy ?????? for you guys, Has anyone ran a set or after-market sprockets with the stock chain????? Please if you don't know don't anwser.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That does not make sence because if you ran a 16/42 it would bring the tire closer to the swing-arm then if you ran a 15/42. The 15 front would give you more room then a 16. So here is a Easy ?????? for you guys, Has anyone ran a set or after-market sprockets with the stock chain????? Please if you don't know don't anwser.
Hey Billy Jack lose the freakin smart ass attitude!!! You asked a question and people are giving u answers. So the hell what if I got it backwards. How bout this then... you'll end up pushing the tire to far back and after a few miles when u go to adjust for the chain stretching you won't be able to go back any furthur and you will have ruined your chain. And yes you can run your stock chain with aftermarket sprocket but you'll wear everything out a lot faster then if you would have replaced everything with all new parts. Obviously your broke or you wouldn't be asking this question so do yourself a favor and save up $150 and get a new chain in the right size and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
863 Posts
It will be fine, any bigger than 42t and you will have a problem. I wouldn't waste money on a new chain at this point. Run it until it wears out than buy a 520 kit.
Then why waste money on new sprockets if its all gonna wear out faster? I'm glad to see you guys wanting to stimulate the economy.

I put 15/43 (not a typo - 15/43) on the stock chain with no issues.

Eric
Here is what you guys don't understand about what your doing probably because you only ride your bikes straight or to work or just around town to be seen. When you push the tire up to far or back to far your jacking with the geometry of everything and seriously affecting the handling of your bike. Again though I doubt you guys ride the bike how it was meant to be ridden and couldn't even tell the difference between a slower or quicker turn in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're right - I have no idea how shortening the wheelbase 1/4" affects the bike. Just like I don't know how the DK link makes the rear shock more progressive which allows me to power out of corners harder. Just like I don't know how to dial in my Penske double-clicker. Just like I don't know how to be facetious...

Seriously, jgos929, I don't know you and you don't know me, so don't start throwing out outlandish statements without any facts. I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes, but it surely wasn't me.

Gaylen, sorry your thread has attracted some bashing. I hope you have found the answer to your question.

Eric

·
Registered
863 Posts
You're right - I have no idea how shortening the wheelbase 1/4" affects the bike. Just like I don't know how the DK link makes the rear shock more progressive which allows me to power out of corners harder. Just like I don't know how to dial in my Penske double-clicker. Just like I don't know how to be facetious...

Seriously, jgos929, I don't know you and you don't know me, so don't start throwing out outlandish statements without any facts. I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes, but it surely wasn't me.

Gaylen, sorry your thread has attracted some bashing. I hope you have found the answer to your question.

Eric
Bragging about your DK link and Penske double blah blah blah and the laundry list of other mods you have will get you nowhere around here my friend. You probably just bought them cause you in fact don't know what they do and just wanted them cause you heard of others using them. My statements are far from outlandish. I'm just trying to help the lad save alittle money and not throw it away when his old chain wears out his new sprockets in 5K miles.

I happen to like piss in my cornflakes by the way. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys I think I'm going to save some money and run some new sprockets on the stock chain with only 1600 easy miles I don't think the chain or sprockets will have much of a effect on each other. Steel Sprockets are bullet proof and cheap. Jgos929 come to North Arkansas twisties and I will show you how not to just go in a straight line.:)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks Guys I think I'm going to save some money and run some new sprockets on the stock chain with only 1600 easy miles I don't think the chain or sprockets will have much of a effect on each other. Steel Sprockets are bullet proof and cheap. Jgos929 come to North Arkansas twisties and I will show you how not to just go in a straight line.:)
I would be more than happy to have you show me. Me and some 51 buddies were in the Ozarks a couple of weeks ago making runs from Russellville to Harrison and back. I'm ready when you are :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a better way to settle this "who rides to what degree stuff". How about posting pictures of your 51's rear tire edge................? I know I ran over the edge of mine more than a few times this past weekend! I'm lucky enough to have the Appalachians in Western VA as my playground. RT 33 from Harrisonburg to West Virginia easily Rivals "The Tail of the Dragon" in NC for thrills. I LOVE MOUNTAINS. There is nothing more fun rolling into a corner marked 10-15mph with the throttle rolled back and the RC howling!!! My buddy said people in oncoming cars were pointing at me with their eyes bugged out! I guess i can still move pretty good for an old fat guy!:D

We ought to get together sometime each Summer and have an RC meet in different locations to enjoy local roads. I'd be happy to host one, I have 12 level acres perfect for camping, and I definitely have some fine riding available nearby!

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts