RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on everyone? I have been trying to find out some information on an 02 SP2. I have been completely rebuilding my version of the prototype SP3.

So far, I have removed the stock headlights and put in two 2' round parabolic headlights that I found. I have also removed the stock swingarm from the SP2 and replaced it with an 07 cbr1000rr swingarm, tail, and undertail exhaust. I also have relocated the battery and portions of the harness around the bike due to the lack of room in the cbr1000rr tail.

Right now, I am working on a midpipe to conver the stock header of the SP2 and the undertail exhaust from the 1000rr. I am trying to figure out what the pipes are made of?? It is either stainless steel or titanium. Anyone know the answer to this so that I can fabricate this part?

I will post pics of the bike once it is complete. Any help you guys can bring would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Need pictures or it never happened. :)
That sounds like a cool build you got going.

I think there is some stainless in there, I used Mig welding wire 023 to weld a SP2 x-pipe to my existing SP1 exhaust. It's holding solid after almost 12,000 miles. Not sure what the RC51 header is made of, but it held fine in the test welds that my buddy used to dial in his Mig welder. It's a different color after being run up to normal operating temps, not sure why, but high heat and a lot of feed is what worked to get a good holding weld on the few test pieces I had.

Pics are after I cleaned up the weld, and ran the bike to normal operating temp. It looks the same today except for normal graying from use.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Hasn't something similar to this already been done.

Look at this guys build and maybe it will help you figure out the tail of your bike.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-rc51/55541-rcw-build-thread-lots-pics.html
That's a hell of a custom build! A CBRC51.
If you want to refer to that in the future, I'd suggest copying the pictures and saving them on your computer. If a poster closes his account with a picture hoster, like PhotoBucket, all the pics may go bye-bye. And that would be a shame.

Thanks for that thread jgos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts