RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Honda Vtr1000 SP-Y Castrol colours
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread to track my progress and keep me motivated..

I've basically decided to get back into my RC51/SP-Y I've owned it a long time.. Used to virtually live on it. But to cut a long story short its been stood dry-ish stored for a little more than a decade..

Today I had a spare few hours so I started taking the lower fairing off to see where I've got to start..

And I discovered a new form of Crystal/Moss..
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a little poking and scraping and the wierd green stuff.. I decided to start cleaning the one side of the bike I've got the lower off..
I've only got one side off yet because.. Well it took about 45 mins to remove that stupid little rubber backed bolt thats at the front behind the rear wheel 馃槼

Folks might be wondering why I'm cleaning it before I've got it running!? Well it comes from what a old racer told me when I was in my teens.. He was a really old racer we are talking BSA Goldstar's
He always said he cleaned his bikes before and after a race.. I said to him "thats daft because your cleaning it twice for ever time you use it once!?" He said by cleaning it I see every bolt on the bike.. I see if anything has come lose or is broken before I ride it and if anything has come lose whilst I was riding it.. That gave him time to fix it before the next race and the second wash was to check he hadn't missed anything... It made sense in a strange old person way 馃槃
So I'm still following his logic.. As I clean it I'll find the bits that need sorting or are rusted together..

Heres the progress..
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grille Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Grille Wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did you use to get the headers back to the shiny finish?
Hi pirks
I used believe it or not, Good old fashioned Autosol and a toothbrush at first to rub off the loose rust.. I thought about using a wire brush or a scouring pad.. But I didn't want to use anything too abrasive and loose what was left of the original coating..
Than a second polish with autosol again and a normal duster of the wifes I nicked from under the sink 馃か I did put a hole in the duster by the end.. so I'll have to hide that 馃槃

I'll be honest I was suprised how well they came up.. Especially by hand.. But it did take some time 馃憤
Asphalt Road surface Tobacco Cylinder Gas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your oil is nice and clean
Hi lee223

Yes and that's something I can't quite get my head around.. I always thought oil that had been stood, degraded.. That oil has done at least 4 track days and then been stood for a decade and it still looks as fresh as the day it went in!?
All the other fluids brake/clutch is heavily discoloured and look generally nasty.

Maybe it just looks clean in the little window and will look more like I expected when I drop the oil and change the filter? If it still looks good when out.. I'm putting the same stuff back in..馃槃 I think it was FUCHS Silkolene but I'll be honest it was a long time and I can't genuinely remember 100% what it was..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok managed a few hour in the garage today.. I was going to finish the front of the downpipes.. I started rubbing away.. It was hard going near the top. They are pretty pitted so to cut a long story short.. It was cold and I got bored...

So I thought I'm gonna try starting her.. Put a few litres of new fuel in.. I didn't expect it to run and... It didn't.. It turns over ok (maybe a little slow) I put a new battery on recently. But it won't fire.

So next I thought I'll take the front plug out and see what we have.. I dropped the oil cooler down, the 2 nuts came off nice and easy.. I'm feeling like I'm cooking on gas at this point.. A man on a mission..

Then it took a hour to get the suppressor cap off... It was on ridiculously tight, like a vacuum had formed behind it. but it eventually came off.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Bicycle part Gear

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those chrome oil pipes don't have much Chrome left on them anymore..

But sorry I digress.. Once I'd finally got the suppressor cap off.. I had to find and swap various socket extensions to clear the bottom yoke, front wheel and various other bits that chose to be in the way.
Once I found the right combination of extensions the plug came out in less than
Blue Fluid Liquid Engineering Gas

Nail Gas Auto part Audio equipment Thumb

30 seconds.. and this is what I found.. 馃槻

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok had a little time in the garage today.. Managed to get the plugs changed by just lifting the tank.. Its tight but pretty easy once you find the correct extension..

But it still won't start..

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motorcycle Vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

As I've already said on another thread I took the tank off today.. But I thought I better update this thread and keep recording my progress.

Now the tank is off I can get to the Fuel pump and I'll replace the fuel pressure regulator whilst I've got easy access..

One thing I noticed is just how narrow the frame is on the RC51 without the tank..

I better get a fuel pumped ordered now. 馃槃 I'm going try and take the old one out over the weekend and see what we have.. The fuel that came out stinks.. More like varnish than petrol.. Delightful brown colour 馃槵

Registered
Hi Paul,
Interesting right up you have i have just bought an SP1 2000, and has been stood for 6 years now so im going down the same route as you,
New battery fitted today and turns but no firing. so new plugs ordered just waiting for them, so im right behind you lol
Anyway please keep the thread going i may learn from you and any pointers you have,
I guess we have winter to get it all sorted and running, i cant wait, i have track days booked up, also let me know your reg no as i had a castrol colored bike many years ago.

Good luck Paul,
Cheers Phill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Paul,
Interesting right up you have i have just bought an SP1 2000, and has been stood for 6 years now so im going down the same route as you,
New battery fitted today and turns but no firing. so new plugs ordered just waiting for them, so im right behind you lol
Anyway please keep the thread going i may learn from you and any pointers you have,
I guess we have winter to get it all sorted and running, i cant wait, i have track days booked up, also let me know your reg no as i had a castrol colored bike many years ago.

Good luck Paul,
Cheers Phill
Hi Phil

Good to know I'm not alone 馃槃
Wouldn't it have been lovely if a new battery would have caused a instant fire up..

I hoped the same when I got the plugs. But to be honest as much as its been disappointing at times finding issues, I'm actually really enjoying it and having the most fun I've had in years
Shame the weather has turned so cold this week. But hey if it was warmer and sunnier I'd want to be riding it so every cloud and all that.
Post some pictures up of your progress I'd be interested.. Between us all we should be able to sort whatever RC/SP related problems we face.. 馃憤

Registered
Hi Paul,
Yes its cold and better to spend some time getting them right and running as they should , im spending on other items aswell just as i can and then when she runs
shes all good, im changing all seals on the brakes and clutch, yes when you fit the new battery and it spins so fast your convinced it will fire up, so really shocked when it dont, i shall get the plugs out and see if they spark if so then its a fuel problem,
Good luck keep in touch as i will,
Cheers Phill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've had a bit of spare time this afternoon.. Took the fuel pump assembly out the tank.. found this. Not surprised its not working...
Blue Gas Revolver Metal Electric blue

Ingredient Cuisine Material property Dish Tints and shades

Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Line Gas

Everything is coated in a layer of hard varnish like old fuel.. It flakes of if I scrape it with a screwdriver.. But thats what it looks like on the out side, I can't imagine the inside of the strainer etc looking pleasant or indeed working well.. Then there is what looks like petroleum tea leaves covering everything else. Tank is full of them.. 馃槺馃槶馃槃

Ah well onwards and upwards I'll wait for my new parts to arrive. Clean the none replaceable parts.. then reassemble it.

Registered
Hi Pual,

WOW piggin hell, Well done i think you have found the issue, just hope the fuel filter done its job if so, then you should be good to replace them, and fingers crossed.
Worried about mine now,
dont want to look.

Cheers Phill

1 - 20 of 37 Posts