RC51 Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
Honda Vtr1000 SP-Y Castrol colours
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Hi Phil
I'm hoping so too.. But in fairness the fuel that dribbled out the banjo outlet as I have been fiddling with it.. Has been clean thankfully..

All the rubber pipes have perished though and gone sticky and basically all the rubber bits around the mesh filter too.

Sadly the kit I was going to order from the USA the 'highflowfuel' one which has everything in one handy kit and looked great.. But is sadly now out of stock... So I've had to go with some genuine Honda bits like the Strainer, Tank gasket or "PACKING, BASE" as they call it.. a couple of new rubber pipes and a couple of crush washers for the banjo bolt.. Grand total of 拢107.00 inc post... and I still need to source a pump itself. That won't be a genuine one because according to fowlerspart its 拢637.19 and no longer available.. 馃槻

So now its down to trawling through all the aftermarket ones.. Some say they are for RC51s but actually are just generic presumably Chinese ones. Others require soldering new wires on for the plug... Don't fancy that.. With my electrical skills and it being submerged in fuel 馃く

So if anyone knows of a genuine plug and play aftermarket fuel pump for the RC/SP please chime in 馃槃

Here's a few more pics
Wood Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Metal

Brown Wood Artifact Brick Tints and shades

Food Blue Ingredient Cuisine Baked goods

Eye Automotive tire Human body Wood Asphalt

Registered
I gutted and modified then airbox without a diverter removed air filters and sound deading material and installed 2 tall stacks. Now it growls. I am unable to find airbox pics

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good grief that looks completely knackered, have you looked on eBay for a second hand Honda unit as they have got to be better than the part you have
Hi Pirks

Yes it does look bad.

Yes I've looked for used ones sadly they appear to have become like rocking horse poop. I think most folks must sell them complete with the tank when they break them for spares etc. One my turn up somewhere hopefully so I guess I'll keep looking.

One thing I've found out is.. Apparently the actual Pump itself is the same as a late 90's Honda civic!? Can't find 100% confirmation on this though.... But on pictures it does appear the same 馃

Registered
Hi Paul,
I went through the same thing a couple of years ago with my 鈥03. When I got it, it had been sitting for several years half full of fuel. The tank was rusted from the moisture above the fuel level and the pump was corroded. The pump was running but looked like it was on its last legs. Since I was in there to clean out the tank I decided to avoid future headaches and just replaced the old nasty fuel pump.
I soaked the tank in Metal Rescue to get rid of the rust and corrosion. I had to soak it a few times in different positions to get into all the nooks and crannies of the funky shaped tank but eventually got it cleaned. Here鈥檚 some pictures of the process. Good luck.
Automotive tire Fixture Gas Door Auto part

Condition of tank as I found it.

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

After cleaning.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Soaking in cleaner.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

New OEM fuel pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi Paul,
I went through the same thing a couple of years ago with my 鈥03. When I got it, it had been sitting for several years half full of fuel. The tank was rusted from the moisture above the fuel level and the pump was corroded. The pump was running but looked like it was on its last legs. Since I was in there to clean out the tank I decided to avoid future headaches and just replaced the old nasty fuel pump.
I soaked the tank in Metal Rescue to get rid of the rust and corrosion. I had to soak it a few times in different positions to get into all the nooks and crannies of the funky shaped tank but eventually got it cleaned. Here鈥檚 some pictures of the process. Good luck. View attachment 139179

Condition of tank as I found it.

View attachment 139180
After cleaning.

View attachment 139182
Soaking in cleaner.

View attachment 139181
New OEM fuel pump.
Hi emlupi

Oh its good to here from someone who's been through it before.. Thanks for the recommendation of the metal Rescue. Your before pics look identical to the inside of my tank 馃憤

Nice job of sourcing a OEM pump assembly. Apparently they are no longer available over here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok I've just had a hour in the garage.. There is good news and bad news......

Good news is its cleaner now than before and ready for the new parts.. Plus I can read the fuel pump number. Its a Denso 195130 6550.. the Denso 195130 is easy to get hold of and fits everything from fireblades to honda civics and some mitsubishi's prices start at 拢17.95 for a genuine denso one.. Sadly though the 6550 bit doesn't exist even on the Denso website!?
The Denso 195130 is identical in size and plug fitting and everything but some vary in output.. and I don't know the output of the 6550 馃う鈥嶁檪锔
Azure Gas Electric blue Circle Valve
Hand Finger Jewellery Lock Nail

Now for the next bit of bad news.... The wire for the fuel light sender snapped of during the cleaning.. Well crumbled off really it was very corroded. The problem now is its encased in some kind of plastic sealer so won't be easy to re-solder on...
Wood Automotive tire Gas Valve Plumbing

At this point a new assembly would be good but I've been told by 2 parts places in the UK they are no longer available 馃檮

Registered
Glad it's not just me that all this happened to! Got a 2000 SP1 from Crashedtoys earlier this summer and it must have been standing for ages. Just like above, fuel was like very smelly varnish, tank was very crusty and fuel level sender wire had snapped off. For me, I did Evap-o-Rust (Good Lord it's a big tank - takes a lot), for the tank and the fuel pump assembly. Not as good results as metal rescue though from looks of it but serviceable. For the pump, after cleaning and dismantling I just replaced strainer, pump, filter and hoses with a QFS (Quantum Fuel Systems) kit and put it all back together. I tried soldering fuel sender wire back on but it wasn't having it so I just trimmed wire back and am living without a fuel level sender. Maybe if I end up using bike enough it will justify spending big on a new one (Webike.net out of Japan look like they have them) but can manage for now. The rest of my bike is in a similarly unloved condition so plenty of other 'opportunities' to improve before worrying about fuel sender light...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Glad it's not just me that all this happened to! Got a 2000 SP1 from Crashedtoys earlier this summer and it must have been standing for ages. Just like above, fuel was like very smelly varnish, tank was very crusty and fuel level sender wire had snapped off. For me, I did Evap-o-Rust (Good Lord it's a big tank - takes a lot), for the tank and the fuel pump assembly. Not as good results as metal rescue though from looks of it but serviceable. For the pump, after cleaning and dismantling I just replaced strainer, pump, filter and hoses with a QFS (Quantum Fuel Systems) kit and put it all back together. I tried soldering fuel sender wire back on but it wasn't having it so I just trimmed wire back and am living without a fuel level sender. Maybe if I end up using bike enough it will justify spending big on a new one (Webike.net out of Japan look like they have them) but can manage for now. The rest of my bike is in a similarly unloved condition so plenty of other 'opportunities' to improve before worrying about fuel sender light...
Hi CrashedToyAddict

Another one its glad to know I'm not alone 馃槃
I suspect a lot more RC51 fuel tanks out there are looking like this inside, I guess we never look in them until there is a problem... Being stood for long periods with fuel in definitely a contributing factor.

It makes me see these ultra low mileage classic supercars that sell for millions in a different light.. I used to think "ooh low mileage that will be like new" now I think "ooh low mileage fuel tank will be full of rust" 馃ぃ

Thats interesting what you did with the sender wire.. I must admit it does look awkward to solder. I'll have a go at the solder But I might end up trimming it back in the end also..
馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
New Fuel pump came today. I chose a WRP racing one in the end. Just because it was in stock and relatively local.. I figured if they are ok for Moto2 they should be ok for me 馃ぃ

Ingredient Rectangle Electric blue Fashion accessory Food

Wood Font Rectangle Floppy disk Gas

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Cylinder Auto part Bumper

Bottle Gas Engineering Cylinder Flooring

Sadly I'm still waiting on the genuine Strainer and 2 pipes..

So I started tackling the broken Fuel light sender wire.. Filed down the green stuff it appears to be molten plastic that put on at the factory to seal it.
Under the green plastic is a brass circular bit which looks pretty good for soldering the wire back on. Need to get some solder now.
Automotive tire Gas Plant Tap Plumbing fitting

Wood Terrestrial plant Natural material Trunk Soil

Apparently both "Loctite Epoxy weld" or JB water weld is fuel resistant and will be ok to reseal it.. So I've ordered some of that too.. I chose Jb water weld because it was a quarter of the price of loctite.. and basically I'm tight 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Blimey, Santa got some of your list sorted and in early then........
Mine is sparking now so just either fuel issue or the Meta alarm, i hate the things, just trouble,.
But like you Paul im getting there
Hi Phil

Yes I must have been a good lad this year for a change 馃ぃ

Good to hear you have a spark. A big important step. Fuel issues oh no.. I'm saying nothing 馃槃 In all fairness if yours turns out to need a pump like mine it can really be sorted for under 200 quid... Well thats my hope.馃

Careful of the genuine Honda strainers on Ebay at 拢100. If you end up needing one, David silver spares has them at 拢49 for also genuine ones

Alarms... Oh don't get me started on those things, Mines a datatool, a ducati datatool no less..馃し鈥嶁檪锔 its working now after a new internal 9v battery and a can of contact cleaner oh and giving it a factory reset. But its now in 'service mode' to stop the alarm going off when I'm working on it.. So now instead in 'Service mode' it gives a deafening chirp every 30secs to remind me its in 'Service mode'. 馃檳

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok so I've just had a bash at soldering the fuel sender wire... It ain't having it. The brass is acting like a heat sink so its impossible to get temperature to solder with a Iron. Should have really known that but got carried away in the excitement and panic..

I can't use a micro blow torch which would be Ideal in other circumstances for soldering on brass because of the close proximity of the other wire and it being surrounded in the dreaded plastic stuff..

I even toyed with some 'Temp guard' and the torch but it was getting too risky for my liking so I quickly stopped. 馃槺

Thought I might drill vertically and tap it and put a little bolt in to hold the wire but the thickness of the brass disc can only be a guesstimate as its surrounded by plastic... So I'm not risking putting a hole i in the bottom of the assembly.

Got one more idea before I chop the wire back. But its a long shot and ain't going to be easy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok the long shot worked..

I drilled a 1mm hole horizontally 5mm into the brass disc.

Gas Wood Plumbing Soil Metal

Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk Electric blue Insect

Then I filed and curved the broken end of the brass spade connector still connected to the wire to the fuel sender. Eventually ending up with a tiny 1mm male bullet connector.. Sadly I couldn't get my phone camera to focus on it to get a decent picture.

But it clicks in perfectly and once covered with the Marine weld epoxy it won't be going anywhere and should give a decent connection..
Heres the wire clicked in waiting for the epoxy
Automotive tire Wood Gas Stonemason's hammer Art

21 - 37 of 37 Posts