RC51 Forums banner

StrayCat's SP1 ressurection

13K views 117 replies 10 participants last post by  Straycat 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guy's thought I'd start a thread as I prepare to start a mild restoration of my 2000 Sp1 (#27).

I got the bike in January.

Now its in my collection and it will get refreshed. It runs well but is cosmetically in need of my attention to detail.

Bike came with the majority of the original parts as well (Rear fender, pipes, levers, Seat, windshield etc)

here is the treatment plan :

-Strip to the frame (may or may not take the engine out - we will see) for deep cleaning
-New Steering Head bearings
-Rebuild front forks with new bushings, O - rings and seals
-Wheel Bearings
-New Tires
-New Brake Pads & Calliper service
-Repaint the scratched panels and Decals
-All new Genuine Honda OEM fasteners and screws
-New Rear Shock (maybe with 5mm shim added)
-New bar grips and bar end weights
-Address the coolant leak - may require a new hose or two
-Replace right side mirror
-All fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid) and filter changes
-Check valve clearances and make adjustments as needed

So far all the new parts have arrived and I have started to prep the bodywork. As luck would have it the lower fairing was mainly decal scratches. Tail section and upper fairing has a scuff and will need touch up paint as well.

I won't get a big start on it for a few weeks Im just wrapping up my Ducati 748 refresh first.

See less See more
#6 ·
LOL, thanks Nigel. Judging by your avatar your SP2 arrived. I kept the pics of that that you sent. We didn't get the white and silver ones over here and they are my favourites. How does she ride ?

I finally finished my Ducati 748 yesterday (needed a bit more work and parts than I originally thought) so I can get to the SP1 now with a more time devoted to it.

Attachments

#7 ·
LOL, thanks Nigel. Judging by your avatar your SP2 arrived. . . . How does she ride ? . . .
Like most here will agree, bloody brilliant! Different ball game to the inline fours I'm more used to, but had to get one of these after having just a 'basic' Firestorm/SuperHawk.

Some might say they're heavy to turn, but as a heavier person, I find it much more comfortable and useable than the 'twitchy' minute 2018 Fireblade. Each to their own of course, but I believe every Honda enthusiast should have one of these - or the SP-1. Brilliant machine.

Good to see the Ducati up and running. Time to sell it and get yourself on the 2020 (labelled as 2021 for USA) RR-R SP, specially detuned for the American/Canadian market. Gee, you guys get shafted. You get no base model and power cut back to 186 bhp as opposed to our 214, and your revs are cut to 12,000 as opposed to our 14,500. Is this only Honda, or are R1Ms and other top line bikes similarly nobbled?:frown2:

#11 ·
Wee bit of progress. . .
Gee, that rim's copped a real hiding. I know they repair well, and I suppose if you were keeping the bike as a 'minter' you'd source another one.

I meant to say the other day that on looking at my own wheels, it's not hard to understand why that grey is difficult to replicate. It's almost a 'blotchy' finish (to describe it crudely) and I'm not sure you'd find any auto paint as a direct match. What you really need is an old-timer who did his trade in the 1960s who would have the talent (pending his remaining good eyesight!!) to manually mix and match.

Alternatively, I used to know some mean chicks in downtown Vancouver who could mix and match eye shadows better than any detailer with Ford or GM. Think they'd be a bit past it now:grin2:

#13 ·
Coming along nicely Straycat. Love the 748. My buddy had an almost identical one and we often swapped bikes. The 748 was a blast to ride.
Looking forward to seeing more progress on the RC.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks.

Today I found my coolant leak.

I pulled the fuel tank and the air-box but there wasn't much evidence of a leak. I did see a small purple tell-tale "dry" stain (has purple engine ice in it) but absolutely nothing wet and no puddles. so to be sure I took a vacuum/pressure hand pump I have for doing brakes and leak down in 2 strokes, and attached it to the overflow stem on the right side Radiator.

My suspicion was the short 2" hose the connects the front head to the thermostat.

As you know, there is a 2 way valve/spring in a Rad cap, it compresses at a certain pressure to allow coolant out and into the overflow tank when hot, and allows the coolant to return as it cools...so....just attach the pup to the overflow barb on the rad and pump unto 15lbs on the gage. (dont go too high), and wait.

In less than 2 minutes it started to drip, right were I expected. the hose clamp wasn't tight, so I snugged it up a wee bit. we will check it again later when I have time. if not ill have to replace the hose which looks to be a huge PITA.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
it will be a while before I have any bikes out here. I still have a solid 3 feet of snow on the ground. Its usually May before I see the road from behind a set of handlebars. Im on a gravel road so I wait for the frost to come out and the clay underneath to firm up otherwise its like trying to ride on carpeted jello. 1km of that and im onto paved road.

My first ride will be taking the FJ09 to the dealer to trade it on the Suzuki M109R

Ill also be hitting the logging roads and skidder trails with my son on the YZ250f's in the spring, so come to think of it, that may be my first ride of the year.

#24 · (Edited)
Steering Stem/Head Race bearings are done, forks are back in.

Im moving to the back and will replace the rear shock and linkages next. Ill shim the rear shock 5mm while im at it (I read about that mod on here). I got a nice minty shock and linkages off ebay for a song. the current one is god-awful spring is rusting and linkages corroded.

#26 ·
Yea, it turns into a bad habit. Like collecting bikes (speaking of which I spied a minty Aprilia RSV Mille 1000S about 3 hrs away, White and silver... may have to buy it. Im selling the Firestorm and the Hawk GT, may be the Ducati too)

RC51 : Got the rear suspension sorted today so next ill do the fixes to the wiring harness and likely the brakes.

#39 ·
Brakes are done, just need to change some fluid and get them bled. after that i'll either change the oil/filer and the clutch cover, or if the new wheel arrives soon, ill get the wheels in for tires before we go into COVID19 lock down here and all the bike shops shut their doors, which is starting to happen gradually, some stores, schools etc. (not a bad thing, sooner the better for public health).

If the wheel arrives, I may get one more run in to town this week and Ill get the paint for the bodywork too while im out

anyway, a pic or two:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.