RC51 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Hi Nigel, the callipers will come off when the wheel goes on, they're just there now so that they're not hanging on the brake lines. the rotors are only there to keep the pistons in in case I have a brain fart and decide to grab the lever. I also need it setup like that If I need to bleed them before I get the wheels/tires done

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Well, time to implement strict social distancing here in Ontario. been doing it for a week already but now I gotta step it up more. No visits to the Bike shop for tire mounting and no visit to the paint shop for bike paint.

Ill do what I can on the bike till all this COVID19 is done with. (that maybe June or July is my guess). some of our weak knee'd politico's have finally started to grow a back bone and implement more strict controls an shut more stuff down. IMHO this one of those times where draconian measures are necessary.

gotta do my part fo the good of public health and limit my travel (even local) and social interactions.

-----

On that note, I put on the new clutch cover yesterday with new bolts and new 0-ring and changed the Oil/filter

Things I can still do:

Bleed the brakes
Install the Original Pipes
install the new wheel bearings
Paint the upper fairing stay ( I have paint for that already)

after that we are in wait mode....ill have to move on to other jobs like assembling my new Bar-B-Q or cutting and splitting 20 chord of fire wood - far less exciting than building a bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Swapped out the right side Radiator yesterday. May get back to do a bit more work on the bike on Saturday once the Firewood is all split.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pipes are on, Rad replaced, Just the paint, decals and tires left...

btw, the wood is all cut and split. Ill build the new wood shed next week and then ill get it stacked.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks Nigel, I do enjoy it. its about 1000 sq feet on each level. 4 car (2 wide and 2 deep) garage down stairs and bike shop upstairs. I cut into a hill to build it so I can bring the bikes out the back down the ramp through a set our double doors. Floors upstairs are 2x12 joists 12" o/c and a laminated center beam below. I could probably park a car up there if I could get it through the doors.

Bit of a mess just now I need to get some clean up done. Rainy day today, I think you have just given me my job for the day --- thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have this garage as well (36' wide 72' long with 2 doors 10' wide and 16' high, I built it in 2015) but this mainly houses the farm equipment (tractors, haying equipment etc), and a few summer toys

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Im building it Pierre not stripping it. Its a restoration project in progress.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lots of space but you a few bikes in there. Is that two VF1000Rs? . . .
Yeah, I noticed that too! Some people would give anything to have just one of those, and here's Mr Cat with 2 of the damn things!!:smile2:

I was privileged to follow the rebuild of the one in the 'Euro' livery and know that no expense was spared in its rebuild. If it ever came up for sale, it would be a great addition to anyone's collection.:wink2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks to you Nigel for all the paint measurements on that Euro bike. Made my painters job easier thats for sure, but he still tells me how much of a PITA it was getting right LOL.

Nice shop you have to 10THbike, I keep thinking about a bike lift, but it never seems to happen.

I run out of space all the time, so I have to sell a bike or two so I can keep buying. I had 2 bikes for sale when COVID19 hit, so I pulled them off the Market for now (Firestorm and a Ducati).

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah VF1000Rs pretty cool, but NS400R?! That’s like the holy grail for some of us old school smoker fans. Tempted to give up a part of my anatomy for one of those. Harbor has those lifts on sale occasionally for $299 and at 71 my back thinks it’s money well spent. Those bikes look pretty nice for their age too. Nice collection.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Thanks, yea the NS400R is a nice little bike, handles like a dream. They're a dog under 7000 rpm, but then the power valves close and its like being strapped to a missile. its more like an on/off switch.

at 10,000 rpm in 3rd gear your pushing 150km/hr.

I had an RZ500, RZ350, RGV250 and RG250 Walter Wolf (sold them all last year). But the NS400R will stay.

Re the lift. We dont have Harbour Freight here in Canada, Princess Auto is our closest thing like that but they dont sell them. (not that I have seen anyway). To get a good one from Bendpack they're about $1000 CAD.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Here’s the 2000 RVT1000R RC51 SP1 as she sits now. Almost finished. Wheels are back on with new tires and now we wait for COVID to pass so I can go and buy paint for the fairing (could be a long wait). I also need a new battery ( I had to use the old battery in my FJ09 when I traded it, FJ battery died on me the day before delivery) . So far here is whats been replaced or repaired :

New front wheel to replace the bent one.
New Avon tires
New Brake pads
New Brake fluid
New wheel bearings
New Head/Steering Stem bearings
New fork seals, bushings & fluid
New clutch cover
New right Radiator
New to me OEM Mirrors
Bar end weight for right bar
New to me rear shock (OEM) and dog bones - originals were functional but quite rusty and corroded
Shimmed the upper rear shock mount by 5mm
OEM pipes back on
OEM Levers and New OEM Grips
Deep cleaning of everything including polishing the engine cases
Oil & Filter Change
Valve clearance check
OEM rear fender back in along with the OEM signal lights
Repaired wiring harness with a parts loom and new OEM Honda connectors
Repaired coolant leak
Engine Ice coolant
OEM Tool Kit acquired for under the seat/tail
All new OEM Honda fairing fasteners (a kings ransom - absolutely criminal what they charge for stuff)
Fairings are all repaired and prepped ready to paint

I'm not satisfied with the front brake callipers, despite cleaning, the bolts that hold the calliper halves together are rusty and thats bugging me…a lot, my OCD cant deal with that. I may have to swap the callipers out or buy new bolts and rebuild these ones. EDIT: Ordered new calliper joint bolts

So for now the SP1 will go back in the line up until I can get paint and a battery.

Im also waiting on a few small bits of hardware from Honda to mount the front signal lights properly. Honda Hardware has now surpassed Suzuki on the “criminally expensive” scale. I thought the Honda parts guy was wearing a mask because of COVID19, but I think he was taking a cue form Jesse James when he robbed me for the parts money.

Excited to ride this bad boy once its done and compare it to the 2002 RC51 SP2

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Oh My !. Yes, all spacers are in correctly, thankfully this isn't my first rodeo. LOL :wink2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hope you put the axle spacers in correctly - unlike this bike I found on a Fireblade forum:surprise::
No no no, that is clearly an engineering design, it is designed to self clearance all the bolts for better fitment and weight reduction.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts