RC51 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's going to be a great looker when finished. Is it a keeper, or might you be selling it? (Not that I'm a candidate!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hi Nigel, ill likely sell it if I get the $ I need out of it. I dont keep too many of my bikes that long really. So many of them that I dont ride them all, and the ones that stay for a few years are kind of rolling art work, I enjoy restoring them, looking at them etc, but ultimately they should be ridden by someone. I have 12 streetable bikes here and insuring them all would be nigh on impossible. Im also finding as I age that riding the sport bikes is getting more and more uncomfortable, but I have yet to find the same "passion" in trying to locate and restore a cruiser.

My M109R is a hell of a bike, but its not a restoration project.

I keep toying with finding an old Harley Davidson, but I think the cost of a candidate and parts may also be prohibitive.

So....Ill keep my eye on the classifieds and see if another cool sport bike comes along. I could use another project for this coming winter as I dont expect the work I have to do on the 2 VF1000R's will take that long.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
. . .
Any suggestions ?
As a hobby restorer, I guess there's two prime factors: cost of replacement parts, and captive market.

I think you've coined the market by working with generally sought-after sport bikes that will sell for a tad over market value. Of course I have no understanding of the Canada/USA market, but my naive impression would be that the Harley rider would be a much harder sell. Just keep wide parameters at the moment because there's bound to be some Covid-19 cheapies about as some owners try to recoup lost wages.

I'm trying to work out if I could see you on a nice Candy Apple Red Goldwing. That'd fix the 'comfort' problem!!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
LOL, yea a couch on wheels, I dont see that happening anytime soon.

Im watching the classifieds, not many COVID19 cheapies as yet, but you never know what will show up at the end of the summer.

Im always staggered at what some folks think their bikes are worth.

There was one good deal last week, very early White with Red R1 for $3500, but just way too far way to drive for in the middle of a pandemic

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Side Panel decals are all on so are the Upper fairing. Just the tail decals to do.

Compound surface on the side panel was a PITA but that was the least of my issues. that particular decal wasn't the right shape either. Bottom edge is supposed to be flat to follow the flat contour of the Rad duct opening. The decal was slightly curved. On top of that the decal wasn't wide enough so it wouldn't wrap around the inside edge of the fairing like OEM if you have the correct "red" paint showing at the Rad opening.

Solution -- Made my own decal from the large wing decals that I never used on the tank (tank was not fully re-painted).

Similar issues with some of the other black decals on the side fairing, too short and no way to wrap them at the front or back edge as the case my be. I had to modify and graft in black vinyl on 3 other decals. the good news its seamless and looks like OEM.

Other issues with the decal kit - the "RC51" decals for the upper were WAY TOO BIG (Photos to come) so I had to use OEM decals.

The "Honda" decal that goes on the tail end was missing, Had to buy an OEM item from Honda.

The big "HONDA" decal at the bottom of the fairing is 2cm shorter than OEM but you cant really tell.

I've emailed the supplier moto-sticker.com to see if they would like my feedback to improve their product for future customers - Im guessing not, but we will see. When I informed them of the missing "Honda" decal for the tail a few months back they offered to sell me one for 5 euro + shipping (WTF? ). Im not expecting any compensation, so I wont be disappointed when they dont offer any.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
pics of some of the decal issues

this is a left side shot for comparison on the decal thats the wrong shape etc. You can imagine how bad that would look when that black decal has to follow the edge of the Rad opening exactly. not to mention its not big enough to wrap around the inside edge like OEM.

Also the RC51 decal which is way too big and the style of the letters and numbers are also incorrect.

Dont know how you get it all this wrong if its your bread and butter business.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow! That RC 51 decal is so far out of whack I'd be embarrassed to sell it!!

Still coming up well though. Only the super serious would notice the smaller discrepancies.

I'd buy it but not sure how easy it is for us UK guys to get entry. Then again, if it's good enough for Harry, it's good enough for me. I'm gunna make a move on Megan Markle's half-sister. That'll get me instant residency!!:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Your plan is sound as a pound Nigel, let me know when you arrive, or is Harry meeting you at the airport ? LOL.

I arrived here in '78 from the UK, I bet a lot has changed since then.

With the OEM "RC51" upper and "Honda" tail decals, plus some "Decals by Dave" for the ones that were the wrong size and shape, its come up really well.

moto-sticker said they be interested in feedback but quickly pointed out that they have disclaimers all over their website saying sizes and shapes may differ...bla...bla....bla.

Like I said before, I'm not interested in compensation, im trying to save the next poor sod that buys from them the same frustration I had to endure, but based on current and past emails from them plus their website disclaimers, I suspect their number one priority isn't the customer its the customers money.

Unfortunately when you focus on the $ first instead of the customer first, you tend to end up with less $ in the end. I wait patiently for their next email, I hope they prove me wrong and take my detail feedback with good grace and apply the changes I suggested.

I haven't gotten around to installing the semi-gloss stickers on the tail cowl "lid" yet, but I already know that they will need to be modified to fit as well. Thats not such a big deal, id rather have to cut excess vinyl off to get a fit than add/graft it in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Strange you mentioned the small tailpiece decal. On one of the UK forums an owner was chasing one. (Ours are yellow as you're no doubt aware) None to be found in UK. I remembered many of the USA/Canada guys speak highly of Partzilla, and presto, they had both red and yellow! I was going to stock up, but then I realised that they don't wear off in the lounge room!!

I worked in retail and sales for much of my life and understand first-hand the value of good customer relations. Sadly, as you allude, it is a fading business ethic. Even down to being called back after an arrangement has been made is now luck of the draw. I'm a bit of a toff when it comes to this and quickly source another business.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Agree 100%

Its amazing to me when there are many businesses out there selling the same product or service that so many of them fail to understand that Customer Service is THE major differentiator. In many lines of business, quality of products are so similar (not decals apparently), its the only thing that can make you stand out from the rest.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The reply from moto-sticker.com on my feedback on the RC51 kit (which was quite detailed with photos) was "thanks for the feedback."

I deliberately left out the correct measurements for the grossly inaccurate "RC51" decal purely to see if they'd asked for it ( I provided measurements for everything else). I figure if they ask for it, then they're serious and want to fix it. If they dont ask and I get a terse response then they don't care and they will just continue to pump out kits as they are now.

The changes I suggested were very easy and with the response I got I'd wager that they deleted my email as fast as it arrived so anyone buying these kits in future will likely get the same kit that I got. So...... My advice is, do not buy from moto-sticker.com unless you enjoy parting with your hard earned good money for sub par product and sub par service.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
All the decals are done now. Next I need to re assemble the upper fairing (Windshield, headlights and under-tray), install the fuel tank (new fuel line banjo washers), new battery needs to go in and then fire it up. After that ill get all the bodywork back on.

All this is likely to happen next week as the Farm work is now taking precedence while the weather is good. I have about 20 acres left to disc and harrow in prep for seeding in June and I need that done before it gets wet again here next week.

Stay tuned, watch this space....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Hay for my horses. Here's a pic of us baling in July last yr. I do about 1000 square bales and then a pile of large round ones to sell off.

what ever I plant this year wont be ready to harvest until next year. I do one field a year (maximum) to keep the hay quality up, Usually lasts 5 years before I have to plow and re seed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Todays outing. My son and I hit the logging roads in the back woods just south of where we live. Good fun, weather was beautiful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Its a saying for a reason. I cant do a batch of hay unless I get 3 days in a row of sun and heat. Rain cannot touch it, especially for horses. If it gets rained on it loses a large % of its nutritional value plus even if you let it dry out again, it tends to get dusty and moldy once baled up.

Day 1 - I cut the hay
Day 2 - Rake it just after lunch once the dew is off it
Day 3 - Rake it after the dew is off and Bale it about 3 hrs later

The earlier in the season it is (early July) the longer takes to dry the hay but the quality is higher, by the time August rolls around the hay dries fast but quality is low.

anyway, enough boring chatter about grass. LOL. back to bikes...

·
Registered
112 Posts
^^^

Thanks for that. I'll pay more attention to my porridge in future!!
Woops, that's oats!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyway, yes, I hope all the bodywork fits like a breeze when you get back inside!(y)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Well the SP1 fired up and ran today for the first time since January.

Ill run it a bit longer tomorrow and if all is ok I'll put the rest of the bodywork back on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
Pics of the finished bike on the next page. still waiting on new calliper join bolts

81 - 100 of 104 Posts