RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I decided I would try to do some maintenance on my bike while I wait for my new chain and sprocket set to come in the mail. I tried removing the 2 front bolts that hold that tank on but with my steering damper in the way there wasn't much clearance. I tried to remove the damper but those bolts are stuck too.

Anyway I used some pliars with my allen wrench to try to remove the tank bolts, I got 1 out but the second one just never gave and ended up stripping.

What can I do to remove this bolt and replace it with a new one? I've tried the extractors before with my car and it ended up snapping and I wasn't even able to drill through that!

If I took it to a Honda dealer would they be able to remove it without messing up my threads or anything?

I'd love advice, I've always had bad luck with stuck bolts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

the one on the right is removable but i'll probably replace it whenever I can get the left one out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of cutting a notch in it for a flathead and trying to back it out with my drill. Would this be a good thing to try before going at it with a extractor?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was thinking of cutting a notch in it for a flathead and trying to back it out with my drill. Would this be a good thing to try before going at it with a extractor?
That would probly be pointless, you need to hit the head of the bolt with a hammer to shrink the Allen head hole and then drive the Allen wrench in with the hammer for a tight fit, a little heat and penatrating oil might be of some use too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Man I'm not sure I would notch it. Doing that would severely weaken the bolt and it just might snap off.
I had alot of success using torqx sockets. They look like an Allen but have more points. Tap a slightly larger one in place and it will have alot more bite.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I recently used an extractor product by the name of "Grab It" from Lowes (click me for linky) to remove a stripped bolt and it worked flawlessly. It was less than $20 IIRC and came with a few different extractor bolt sizes (was sick of borrowing friends' extractors so I finally purchased a kit to add to my tool collection).

IMHO, I'd use an extractor and order up a new bolt from one of the many microfiche parts vendors...g'luck !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried an extractor but it snapped. I really hate using them I've never had much luck. Going to see if I can drill the head off and if not I'll take it to a machine shop and see if they can drill it out and retap it. Any objections to that last part?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drilling it wasn't gonna happen so I whipped out the dremel. Right when I was almost finished cutted the entire head off I tried to get it out with some vice grips and it busted loose! I've never been this lucky :p

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Now chase the threads with a tap and get the rest of the thread locker out of the holes.:cool:

If you dont have compressed air to blow the threads out, a can of computer duster works well in a pinch.;)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
run by a machine shop most will do this for next to nothing. you have to clean inside those threads or your next bolt may do the same thing.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I don't have a tap unfortunately. Won't really be able to afford one anytime soon either....
Ask around, you might find someone who has a set. I think you can buy just the one size you need "thread chaser" from Ace hardware for about $10. Or maybe Auto Zone, or a tool/equipment rental company. Or even Home Depot rents stuff like that. Madbuyer is right about cleaning the threads. Someone may have used red locktite instead of blue. I've heard that suggested to deter theft of the damper.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
...Right when I was almost finished cutted the entire head off I tried to get it out with some vice grips and it busted loose!...

Woo hoo ! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
would this work?

http://www.metric-tools.com/catalog/item/3995248/3791868.htm

I'm not sure what style to buy out of the 3 options given.
Also what does it mean by "Use Drill Size: 5mm or #5"?
That should work.
The drill bit part is if you were going to drill AND tap a hole.

The drill bit creates the hole, and the tap cuts threads in the metal surrounding the hole for the bolt threads to grip.
So the diameter of the bolt shaft (5mm) is always smaller than the outer diameter of the threads (6mm).
However, the bolt size is usually referred to as the outer diameter of the threads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about style of the tap? It offers plug, bottom, and taper.

I'm assuming it would be better to use a adjustable wrench to spin the tap and clean the threads over a drill?

I hate having someone else work on my vehicles so thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
M6 x 1 (or 1.25, not sure)bottom tap....should work fine. Go to Lowes or Home Depot, you can probably do better on price there. Take the old bolt with you to check it against the new tap to be sure the thread pitch matches.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts