RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being new to RC i have recently been doing a lot of reading. Browsing through old thread's and reading reviews and such.
The new crop of current liter bikes are typically sub 400lb. And after a couple hundred miles on my (new to me) 06 i cant help but imagine how badass it would be if it dropped 30-40lb.
So i pose this question to the forum...what, and how much $$ gets it done:D

In the snowmobile world its about $100 a pound(carbon fiber skid $2500=30lb weight loss)

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
The basic racer weighted in at 384.xx dry, it was also like 100k too lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well for starters you can replace your entire exhaust system with a a lady bird TI set up, its on ebay right now also sold on this forum and speedzilla. That should drop you prolly 20 lbs maybe more Im not completely sure. THen throw on some BST wheels that will drop you another 15lbs and that big drop... from there just start chopping shit thats not needed. I can imagine you get down around the 420lb range with some minor changes... QB carbon tank or ETI fuel cell will help too along with a few other carbon parts turn one snorkel and air box (moriwaki if u use the fuel cells). After that tho the dollar per pound gets VERY expensive!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Start by losing weight in large chunks, because the price goes way up when losing weight in small amounts.

Wheels, fuel tank, battery, exhaust will lose a bunch of weight.
An ETI fuel cell, Shorai battery, TurnOne airbox and snorkel, and full Ti exhaust system can lose around 30 lbs alone.

BST wheels will lose several pounds more, but most importantly they will lose rotating and unsprung mass.
This will greatly improve handling and also suspension operation.

A lightweight rear brake rotor can save a pound or two.

Titanium is 40% lighter than steel, but I've found greater weight savings between steel and titanium for larger bolts than with smaller bolts, mostly due to the shapes of the bolts replaced.
You can substitute aluminum bolts in non-stressed areas as well.

The engine is the absolute heaviest component of the bike (next to the rider) at around 165 lbs.
There is nothing you can do to lose substantial weight on the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Not sure about the current litre bikes coming in at 'under' 400#. The Kawi ZX10 is reported as 436# curb, and the Honda CBR is a porky 465#, actually heavier than it was previously. Didn't check on the Yam or Suzi though. Maybe the Ducs and Aprilias might be closer. Ditto on what Sub says about the exhaust and wheel for the biggest quick weight savers. Reducing insprung weight is always one of the best noticeable gains you can make to anything. For me though, loosing 20+ lbs off myself would likely benefit both me and the bike;)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Wow, I can't lose anywhere near that amount of weight by being nekkid:eek:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Oh & for the record my old antique 04 1000RR at one point weighed, in quasi-track prep, 394lbs with about half a tank of fuel.

I have since taken significant amounts of additional weight off the bike with wheels, lighter rotors, removing OEM undertail and brackets, Full Ti Exhaust, .85lb Speedcell battery, aftermarket bodywork etc so I am betting it is around 375lbs now with some fuel on board.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Haven't heard anyone mention about converting from 530 to a 520 chain and alum rear sprocket yet. That'll loose about 4? pounds of rotational weight.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Used Ducati 848 $6500 makes the same horsepower as an RC51 and weighs 72lbs less :eek:
That Duc ever been an WSB champion??:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
only because it was not in the WSBK class.....considering its an 848 twin and putting down the same power and weighs less then the 1000cc RC, kind of speaks for itself. Its big Brother was WSBK champ last year though.

Let's see.....Honda last won in 2007, since then Ducati has taken it twice.
since 1988 Ducati has 14 Championships.....Honda has 7.

As for manufacturer titles, Ducati took it every year the RC was in the championship.....it gets worse.....since 1988 Honda has 4 manufacturer titles, Ducati has 17. :eek:

Sorry about the rant, i love my RC, but facts are facts. Ducati has dominated WSBK for sometime now.

But thats all besides the fact, we all know our street bikes share nothing in common with the WSBK bikes. :p:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
only because it was not in the WSBK class.....considering its an 848 twin and putting down the same power and weighs less then the 1000cc RC, kind of speaks for itself. Its big Brother was WSBK champ last year though.

Let's see.....Honda last won in 2007, since then Ducati has taken it twice.
since 1988 Ducati has 14 Championships.....Honda has 7.

As for manufacturer titles, Ducati took it every year the RC was in the championship.....it gets worse.....since 1988 Honda has 4 manufacturer titles, Ducati has 17. :eek:

Sorry about the rant, i love my RC, but facts are facts. Ducati has dominated WSBK for sometime now.

But thats all besides the fact, we all know our street bikes share nothing in common with the WSBK bikes. :p:D
Oh...:(
Well im gonna sell this piece of shit and get a Ducati:D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
No, but then neither has your bike technically... If you look into it you will see that the Factory World Superbike RC51's don't share one single bolt with the production version we can buy, literally not one bolt. Chassis, swingarms, throttle bodies basically everything you think would be homologated as such are nothing like the production bikes and the engine cases, internals and heads were complete unobtanium.

In fact, if you were really trying to build a race replica bike using parts common to what we can actually get then a Ducati would be your best bet. Custom built SBK Spec engines aside, the frame on the Ducati along with the suspension components etc can all be purchased exactly like they were used in World Superbike. I can even get you the exact Ohlins suspension settings of your preferred rider :)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
For the record I hate to admit it and even more so as the creator of RC51.org, but once you ride an 848 you'll want to kick your RC51 over in the driveway LOL

Ride one that is all set-up with the right parts and you'll want to marry it... :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For the record I hate to admit it and even more so as the creator of RC51.org, but once you ride an 848 you'll want to kick your RC51 over in the driveway LOL

Ride one that is all set-up with the right parts and you'll want to marry it... :D
I see one thing id like to marry:cool:

Whats the difference between a Duc rider and a porcupine...

nothing:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tried weighing mine with bathroom scales and that didn't work so well but it has to be down in the low 400's. Some weight calculations are guesstimates.

- Forged Mag wheels -9 lb
- Gutted Airbox -2 lb
- ETI Fuel Cel Tank -7.5lbs
- 520 kit -2 lb
- 1/2 race wire harness removed -1 lb
- full Jardine 2 into 1 exhaust -20 lb
- race glass and removal of all lights, etc -15 lb
- Speedcell battery -5lbs
- Flapper and emissions -2
- kick stand, horn, fans, - 1 lb
- clip on -1 lb
- Rear wave rotor -??
- Carbon front and rear fender - ??
- Stickers removed -.0001 lb
- 10 lbs off my sorry ass (priceless)

I'm still looking to buy and install a Turn 1 airbox and fit it to the ETI fuel cell!! Has anyone been able to accomplish this?
With the exception of a few minor items, any other weigh reductions from the bike will be too costly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts