RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 03 rvt1000r and it has two soft or hard setting on the forks one upper and one lower can anyone tell me what they are for and how to set them to my weight which is 150LBS. any comments would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Oh man I had forgotten I had even put that article up LOL I think it is about time it gets updated as well.

It's almost ironic that when I wrote that in 2003 I didn't really know squat about suspension other than how well it improved the handling and now I am test rider and suspension technician :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well lets see

I can tell you one thing straight up. At 150 you are going to have a hard time getting them soft enough!! I am 140 to 150 / gear and had to have mine done by Traxxion Dynamics before they felt anywhere near right. I think ( someone correct me if I'm wrong) the stock forks are set up to accommodate a rider around 180lbs. So at full soft they still felt harsh to me. Plus having them done at TD I gained 30 mm of travel. Didn't like this at first but longer stroke gives you more sweet spot and time in the sweet spot of the stroke. My 2 cents :D
RIDE SAFE Hoovy

PS; Well according to the first article in JONDOG's post the stock forks are set up for 140 to 160??? But it still didn't feel right to me. I would recommend having them done right you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
that stock forks are crap !!!!!!!!!! i just had mine re-valved ,new springs ,and top-out spring mod done ,, 99% different feel for the better

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just had my forks worked- Racetech valves and correct springs, new oil and seals. My tuner also raised the forks 5mm in the triples. I normally run a tie wrap around my fork leg as a gauge of travel. Lately I have been wondering...How far should the tie wrap be from the bottom of the fork leg if you are set up properly. I'm guessing that the bottom of the travel is not the bottom of the tube- that it is actually some distance from the bottom. This is my track bike, no street use. I'll make a couple hard braking runs this weekend to see how far it actually dives and measure up for comparison.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Not all forks compress to the bottom of the fork leg.
Some forks can be at full compression with 13mm or so still exposed.
It all depends on the design.

Also if the oil lock piece is in place, that will limit travel as well.
And if the oil lock piece is removed, then the fork may be able to compress further to the point the rebound valve impacts the compression valve, or fork bottom.
Definitely not a good thing.
In that situation, the oil level is raised to increase the air spring effect to limit full mechanical travel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts