RC51 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every:)
My rc51 suspesion is a little on the hard side,so i want to set it up to my weight:D
Im 10 stone (140lb)just for street riding,
any advice will be gratfully recieved;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
You just need to experiment. Whatever you do on one side make sure you do on the other. If you could take it somewhere where they know what their doing and set it up for you that would be better. Someone is probably gonna chime in and tell you to get your forks reworked and upgrade your rear shock but as light as you are I think the stock setup is more then adequate. Do you have a manual? And what setting is your rear shock set on. Look at the collar at the bottom of the spring and tell me what notch its on.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Your a big fella like me. Your's is gonna want to be on the stiffer side.

Really fellas the best way is to go to a bike shop and have them set it up while your on the bike. I mean you can try the ol zip tie around the fork tube and measure trick but it will never really be right.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Depends what kind of riding you do. If you ride it to work and go for the occasional ride with your buddys then atleast get a shop to set you up on your stock setup. I believe the stock setup from the factory is geared towards a 185lb rider but all that can be tweaked for heavier and lighter riders. If you are a weekend warrior like me and really ride it hard out on the street then you definitely need to get it setup cause it can be dangerous to an extent if your suspension is outta whack plus you'll feel a world of difference after they tweek it. Then start saving for reworked forks and an aftermarket rear shock. If you plan on tracking the bike then I would plan on upgrading all the suspension with aftermarket pieces and getting it all setup for your height and weight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
jgos929, what do u think of Hyper pro 3D shock?...I just ordered at my local dealer & it's a way cheaper then in USA...Then how about the fron suspension? I dont want to change to full ohlin...is there way to rebuit it?

·
Registered
863 Posts
jgos929, what do u think of Hyper pro 3D shock?...I just ordered at my local dealer & it's a way cheaper then in USA...Then how about the fron suspension? I dont want to change to full ohlin...is there way to rebuit it?
I think hyper pro is a very good product. I'm not crazy about those purple springs personally. I used to run one of their steering dampners and it worked great. You don't see alot of 51's running hyper pro I guess because they're prices are right inline with Ohlins & Penske etc. How much did you pay??? I'm showing they're about $1000 over here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
They quote me $1400 Singapore dollars(USD ard $700)..Mostly i dont see any RC51 running Hyper pro..mostly Penske & Ohlin..followed by Elka & Wp...So far i give them my weight & changed it to the black spring(not favour of Barney colour)..

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Hyperpro is popular in Europe, but hasn't penetrated the US market as Ohlins or Penske has.
As a side note, another suspension product made in Italy is Matris.
Their products seem very well designed, but are utterly unknown in the US.
Their replacement cartridge units use needle bearings for the preload adjusters for zero friction. The quality is very impressive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi every:)
My rc51 suspesion is a little on the hard side,so i want to set it up to my weight:D
Im 10 stone (140lb)just for street riding,
any advice will be gratfully recieved;)
Best to take it to someone at the track or a specialty shop and let someone set your sag with you on the bike. 140 is pretty light. If you just want to take some of the stiffness out of things you can try backing off everything like 6 - 10 turns for compression and rebound settings front and rear, should help...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best to take it to someone at the track or a specialty shop and let someone set your sag with you on the bike. 140 is pretty light. If you just want to take some of the stiffness out of things you can try backing off everything like 6 - 10 turns for compression and rebound settings front and rear, should help...
Sorry i meant CLICKs on this bike - NOT TURNS ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts