RC51 Forums banner

Syn Oil

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  James_03_rc 
#1 ·
:confused:I own a 2004 RC and to date it has run perfectly, however I just had the dealer put synthetic oil in for the first time (19,000 mile) and now she is missing shifts. Anyone have a thought why now? Thanks

#2 ·
A few thoughts, as there are a LOT of variables at play here...

What kind of oil were you running previously? How is the bike missing shifts exactly?

It is user induced error (not enough pressure on shifter) or are you getting kicked out of a gear (grinding), etc?

"Don't let the dealer touch your bike" for routine maintenance is the first thought that comes to my mind but you'll want to doublecheck their handywork (proper oil amount added - not under or overfilled?) just to make sure.

Do you know if their "tech" took the bike out for a spin on a "test ride" or anything?

Did they mess with or change out your clutch fluid as well?

#3 ·
i would never leave my keys with a shop unless the work they were doing required it.

and i definitely do my own oil changes, and most everything else on my bike thats not a huge job. ive heard of too many cross-threaded, stripped drain plugs, overfilling of oil, etc...

#4 ·
Synthetic oil makes my bike shift noticeably smoother.
I don't really understand how that alone could make you miss shifts.
I have one pair of boots, which for some reason, I always have a little trouble upshifting into 2nd and 3rd. No other time, except when I'm wearing those boots. I just have to be a little more conscience and use a bit more pressure to engage the gear.

#6 ·
Thanks to all for your responses. I ran conventional oil up until this oil change and changed the oil every three thou miles. I told them to put the best oil in and they did with a synthetic (unsure of the brand). In addition, they also changed out the clutch fluid. I am very deliberate in my shifts and my riding boots are always the same. There where instances when I shifted from fifth to sixth it would engage a second after I released the clutch lever, and there were instances between fourth and fifth the when the shift went into a neutral like mode. I'm assuming its the new syn fluids.

#7 ·
IMO, shifting into a false neutral is indicative of a bad shift, and not oil related. Now if the the bike slips out of gear into a false neutral, that can be related.

I'd lower the shifter a bit and see if that changes anything. It's a quick, free and easy check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.